Friday, October 28, 2011

Besse Pease Gutmann Week, Day 5

Today's darling painting by Besse Pease Gutmann is called "Who's Sleepy." Apparently, this artist was aware that most people have a soft spot for puppies and small children, because both take center stage in almost all of her works. I think this one is absolutely precious. What can I say? I'm just a sucker for a yawning puppy dog. And the rounded cheek on the baby makes me think of my twin granddaughters, who have the most irresistible cheeks in the universe. You can't see those cheeks and not want to kiss them!

I hope you've enjoyed Besse Pease Gutmann Week. This woman was quite prolific before she retired in 1947, and copies of her paintings and illustrations abound on the internet if you'd like to see more of them. I love all of her works so much that I could do a Besse Pease Gutmann MONTH. (But that might bore my sons to tears; so if I want them to keep following this blog, I'd better just end here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment