Sunday, April 24, 2022

Music City Memories

If you read my last post, you know that my husband and I are in Nashville, visiting our youngest son and his wife.  On Friday night, we went out on the town.  After walking around the bustling and noisy (music- filled!) downtown streets, we stopped at a local distillery and enjoyed a few fancy cocktails.  With live country music playing in the building, of course.


Then we went to Nashville’s Assembly Food Hall, which is basically a giant multi-level food court with over 30 eateries and bars and pretty much every kind of fare imaginable.  And while we ate, there was a live country music performer nearby, giving us an awesome free concert.  I mean, of course there was. Because, you know...it’s Nashville.  They call it "Music City" for a reason.

I had to.  He was the King, after all.

Again...we had to.  This vignette seemed tailor-made
to be a backdrop for a Pearl fam photo op.  ;)



Last night, we had tickets for the Grand Ole Opry.  It was the first time for my husband and me, not surprisingly; but it was also the first time for our son and his wife, who've lived in the area for less than a year and just hadn't had the opportunity to check it out yet.  That made it extra-special.




The show was absolutely spectacular.  The house was packed, and everyone in the audience was pretty jazzed to be there.  On stage that night the talent ran the gamut from stars who'd been in the business for more than 50 years to young singers making their Opry debuts.  One of my favorite performers was an actor/comedian/singer named Charles ("Chip")  Enes, who actually starred in a show called Nashville, but whom we remember enjoying years ago with our boys on the Drew Carey show Whose Line Is It Anyway?  He was so entertaining!



The Opry was so much fun, and I feel like Opry-goers are my kind of people!  Getting to see a live show there was something we never thought we'd do, and I suppose if we never had, we wouldn't have missed it.  But boy, oh boy, y'all, I sure am right happy that we got a chance to experience that!

Let's see, what else is there to report...oh yes, I tried grits.  Yesterday morning our son was helping a classmate with a film project, so our daughter-in-law took us to brunch at the coolest little place called the Nashville Jam Cafe.  I've never had grits; but they had smoked Gouda grits as a choice for a side on the menu, so I decided to be daring for a change and give them a go.  Dang, those cheesy grits were delicious!  I may become a true Southerner yet, my friends.  (And after walking around Nashville last night, I'm finding myself thinking that I might need to get me a pair of cowboy boots!)

Today we went to Mass, with Confession beforehand and our son and his wife singing in the church choir; then we watched our daughter-in-law's adult league soccer game; in a little while, we'll enjoy a nice steak and potatoes dinner at home...and then tomorrow morning, we'll be heading back to VA as early as we can get the car packed up. This has been such a wonderful visit, I hate to see it end.  But although this is our first rodeo (that is, trip to Nashville!), I'm quite sure it won't be our last.  And I'm hoping that next time, I'll be wearing new boots.

5 comments:

  1. This all looks like a ton of fun!! And how cool to find that beautiful truck just made for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, how perfect was that truck? We had to take those pictures!

      Delete
  2. I like to make my grits with half milk and half water. I add plenty of butter, salt, pepper and crumble bacon bits in there. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aileen, I'm experimenting with commenting here, because I've been have having tech troubles. It was so good to see you here! I hope you are well. Your grits sound delicious, too. (Anything with butter and bacon is bound to be a winner!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good Laura, thank you! Keeping busy with my daughter and stepkids, six grandkids and my 90 year old dad and my stepmother who's condo is just a couple of buildings from mine. I'm so blessed!

      Delete