Thursday, April 28, 2022

It's Showtime!

I’m a little late getting this one posted.  It was languishing in my drafts for a while, unfinished; then our recent trip to Nashville to visit our youngest son and his wife took center stage here at the blog for a bit.  But I wanted to write about a really sweet week that I had recently before my old lady brain forgets all the details!  So here we go.

Spring is the season for going to shows, down here in VA.

The Sunday before Easter, I got to attend a high school production of Hello, Dolly! with my second-oldest son and his two oldest boys (Junior, 6, and Jedi, 4).  The play was put on by his wife's Catholic high school alma mater, and it was absolutely fabulous.  The sets, the costumes, the acting and singing, the choreography--it was all so incredibly well done!  I was pretty much blown away by the professional quality of every facet of this production.

The two leads were particularly talented, and my little grandsons developed a bit of a crush on the gal who played Dolly (one of them called her "the queen").  I have to give those boys credit: this was a two-and-a-half-hour show that started at 7:00 PM, and they stayed mostly attentive throughout.  (After the intermission, the 4-year-old quietly asked when it would be over a couple of times, when there was still about an hour to go; but for his age, he did remarkably well!)

Here are my darling grandsons after the show, getting their picture taken with the lovely lead character (an extremely gifted young gal whom I wouldn't be surprised to see on Broadway one day).

Well, hello Dolly!!


Then the following Tuesday evening, I got to attend another show.  This one was at the Catholic elementary school in our town where our 4-year-old triplet grandchildren (who belong to son #4 and his Braveheart) are in pre-K.  Their class did a tribute to Mother Goose, with all the traditional nursery rhymes included.  Although the sets and costumes (and ahem, the singing and acting) were not nearly as polished as those of the high school musical, this show was just so incredibly SWEET!

When it came time for "Old King Cole," the triplets played the very apropos role of the fiddlers three. :)

After the show, I went to Chick-Fil-A for a celebratory dinner out with son #4's family (something that doesn't happen very often, as they have four rather rambunctious kids, aged 4 and under, and they usually go to the drive-through!).


As if one pre-K extravaganza wasn't enough excitement for one week, on Thursday of that same week I got to attend yet another.  This time, the star of the show was our Shirley Temple lookalike granddaughter Hermosa, the 4-year-old middle child of our middle child (son #3).  And this time, Papa (who had been up in NY working on our vacation rental house and missed the previous two shows) was able to come, too.  So I had my favorite date with me.

I love this time of year with our young grandkids, with the end-of-year school shows and the little graduations (kindergartners in caps and gowns—can you even stand it?).  If we hadn’t made our big move south five years ago, we would be missing so many of these special events.  I'll tell you, we are just loving our VA life.

*Just a little postscript: I am having technical difficulties with my Google account for this blog and can no longer leave comments on other people's blogs or reply to the ones left on my own.  I'm going to get my favorite IT guy to try to help me figure it out, but in the meantime, I'm sorry if you left me a nice message recently and I didn't acknowledge it!

7 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hope you get the IT stuff figured out. And how precious are all your grands and their shows?! What a gift to spend time with them and attend their productions. Seriously, I hope I can be a supportive grandparent the way you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madeline--It's not quite figured out, but we're getting there. My Google account that is tied in with this blog doesn't appear to recognize me when I want to comment, so I have to type in my name and URL to comment or else go as "Anonymous." (?!). Anyway, yes, it is such a gift. We cherish our time here with the kids and grandkids!

      Delete
  2. They are adorable! We have a Kindergarten graduation this year for my last baby, and I should be stocking up on tissues :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww...the last kindergarten graduation. Yes, pack plenty of tissues in your purse!

      Delete
  3. Wow you were busy! And how much fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE this!! You are one lucky Grammy!

    ReplyDelete