Monday, October 17, 2011

Proof of Life

Here is a sonogram picture taken of my twin granddaughters exactly a month before they were born. I'm sure you've figured this out already, but it's a view from the top of their heads; you can see Twin B's hand near her face and the outline of Twin A's adorable rounded cheeks and button nose. Whenever I look at all of the sonogram pictures my daughter-in-law sent us throughout her pregnancy, I am blown away by this awe-inspiring technology. Through these images, my husband and I were able to watch the twins grow from the very beginning, when they looked like two tiny lima beans anchored to a wall by threads; then in almost no time at all, they were plump little beings with short arms and legs; and soon, we could make out their hands waving at us, and we could clearly see the outlines of their feet and their darling profiles. The idea of two separate human beings growing together in one womb is a miracle almost beyond comprehension; the fact that we can be witnesses to that miracle through sonogram images such as these is yet another miracle. I can't imagine how anyone can see a sonogram picture and not be passionately pro-life. Now look at this picture of the babies, taken a couple of weeks ago. That's Twin B (my "Cutie Pie") on the left and Twin A (my "Bonny Baby") on the right. They're positioned exactly as they were in the above sonogram picture, and photographed from the same angle. And they haven't changed much! The outlines of their heads--and their cute little cheeks and noses--look just like Twin A's in the sonogram picture! And I don't know about you, but when I look at this photo, I definitely feel like I'm seeing double. They are identically adorable.

Everything, every bit of genetic material, that these two needed to become the beautiful baby girls they are today was present from the very beginning, even when to the naked eye they had the appearance of tiny beans. They just needed nutrition and time so that they could grow and develop and get ready to make their entrance into the world. They were, from their earliest stages, two individual humans--two souls made in the image and likeness of God. Okay, that's my plug for the sanctity of life, from the moment of conception on. These days, one needn't say much; he can just let sonogram pictures do the talking. Proof of life is there, in black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment