Friday, April 23, 2021

A Shout-out to "Granny Chic" Style


Back when I was on Instagram--before my husband and I decided to delete our social media accounts a few months ago--I once posted a picture of a corner of my living room, with its pink-and-green floral couches (still in great shape after 27 years) and dark-stained wood furniture pieces, and with a pretty lace doily (remember those at your Grandma's house?) on the table, on which sat a pottery pitcher holding silk roses.  And I explained that although I loved my living room, I knew very well that it was hardly everyone's cup of tea.  I said I realized that I was very old-fashioned and assured the handful of  ’grammers who might stumble upon that post that I was not trying to pass myself off as Joanna Gaines--not by a long shot!  And some kind person commented that as a matter of fact, my rather vintage-y home decor style is actually en vogue these days, in certain circles; and it even has a name: Granny chic.

What is this "new" interior design trend called Granny chic?  Houzz describes it thus: "Granny chic style updates vintage home decor for the 21st-century gal.  It's filled with crocheted, knitted, quilted, and handmade items and includes lovely vintage touches like glass cake plates and small goblets." Another site says it's "a style that mixes patterns and colors to create a layered look filled with personality-rich items."  Bottom line: it's a sentimental, nostalgic style that reminds you of your grandmother's house.

If you do an Internet search of the term "Granny chic," you will see pictures of all sorts of cozy, colorful, pleasantly cluttered rooms, with gallery walls filled with artwork in mismatched frames, overstuffed upholstered chairs and couches with colorful crocheted blankets tossed over the arms, patchwork quilts, toile fabrics and floral wallpapers, and eclectic collections of new and antique furnishings, dishware, and bric-a-brac.  These are the sorts of rooms that speak to me; they are rooms that come together over many years of saving for special pieces, scouring thrift stores for someone else's cast-off treasures, inheriting family heirlooms, and receiving gifts that not only make your house more beautiful but have special meaning to you because they have a story behind them.  Granny chic is my wheelhouse, I believe.

I have 17 grandchildren who come to my house often for holiday family parties and random play dates...so I think the shoe fits here.

My oldest son's wife, Regina, texted me one day recently to say that she thought she'd figured out her decorating style: either Granny chic or something called Grandmillenial, which I think is similar but is created by mixing vintage and modern elements.  I told her I thought that was so funny, because of what I'd learned about myself from that IG commenter.  Our text exchange is what led me to the Internet to search for Granny chic information, and this is one of the images that popped up:

Oh my, I'm in love!  If those gorgeous vintage dishes are an example of what you'll find in a Granny chic-inspired house, then yes, Granny chic is most definitely my cup of tea [cups and saucers]!

I mean, look at some of my most recent purchases from thrift store outings with my daughters-in-law: a vintage gravy boat by an American company called Homer Laughlin, and a vintage cream-and-sugar set, made in Bavaria by a German company called Winterling.  I didn't need them...but I sure do love them.


I keep most of my cherished breakables in safe places, and I hang favorite collector plates on the walls, far from the hands of my curious young grandchildren. But those shelves positively crammed with vintage china in that photo above...😍

I’ll be back soon, I think, to show you more nooks and crannies in my house that illustrate just how chic we Granny-types can be.  (Because apparently, I’m fancying myself a home decor blogger or something...NOT!  🤣)

2 comments: