Saturday, February 11, 2012

Road Trip: Third Leg

Well, we did another four-hour leg of our road trip today, and we've arrived safely at my sister-in-law's house in North Carolina. (She--along with her wonderful family--is the latest Pearl on the long family string who just happens to be right on our route as we travel south towards my oldest son's new duty station in Alabama.)

Just after we passed over the border into NC, we pulled off at a visitor's information center so that my son and his wife could feed the twins. This was no average highway rest area; it was more like your grandma's cozy living room, furnished with a comfy couch and a pair of club chairs, an Oriental rug, an electric fireplace, a T.V.--and to top it off, there was a jumbled collection of country decorations, paintings, and antiques scattered about. (The rest area doubled as a gift shop, actually; all those cute, homespun objects d'art were for sale. I almost bought some rooster-themed gifts for my VA sister-in-law, whose house we just left this morning, but then realized I'd have no room in my suitcase for them when I fly back home in a couple of weeks.)This adorable rest area just screamed "Southern hospitality." I'd never seen anything like it, and I've been on a lot of cross-country road trips in my day. It was the most welcoming visitors/welcome center you could possible imagine--right down to the two grandmotherly old ladies (with the cutest Southern accents) behind the desk who oohed and aahed over the twins and made all of us feel right at home. If they'd offered us homemade apple pie, that would have completed the whole "this is just too good to be true" experience.

We have been truly blessed on this trip, and we're down to just two more four-hour legs before we reach our final destination. The babies have been a couple of troopers, despite being cooped up in their car seats for long stretches; we've been able to have some great visiting time with family; and the weather has been cooperative. Life is good! But keep those prayers coming, if you don't mind.

(By the way, today is the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. More on that tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment