Saturday, January 28, 2012

This 'n That

First of all, this post will be very brief today. I kind of got carried away yesterday, and that one ended up being much longer than I'd intended. For me, it just would have been too difficult trying to encapsulate what is contained in Anne Frank's amazing diary using any fewer sentences (most of them Anne's) than I did. But I think Anne, who collected her favorite "beautiful sentences" in a notebook, would understand a writer's need to use as many of them as she thought necessary to do the trick.

(I just called myself a "writer"! As our young, computer-savvy texting generation would say, LOL!)

And speaking of beautiful sentences, I did not find enough of them in the book More Than Words Can Say. I mentioned in my Jan. 17 post ("If Modern Fiction is Making You Blue, I've Got the Book for You") that I was going to read it on my trip to Amsterdam last weekend, and I said I'd let you know if it was any good. No offense to Robert Barclay--who is a published author, whereas the only way I can get my amateur scribblings published is on this free blog!--but I did not enjoy it...more than words can say. It disappointed me...more than words can say. I wish I hadn't spent the money on it...more than words can say. I gave up and never finished it. This is a harsh review, and for that I apologize. I do think Mr. Barclay's story is a good one--it's set during World War II at a camp in the Adirondacks, with a love story at its core--and the book has its good points; but I couldn't get past his writing style, which just didn't work for me. I would recommend Dream When You're Feeling Blue--a lovely book with similar themes, set in the same time period--instead.

Now I feel like Simon Cowell. That was a bit rough.

Okay, what else? Oh, a few days ago I found the neatest thing for displaying the souvenir postcards I brought back from Nice and Monaco at--where else? the greatest store ever--T.J. Maxx. It is actually a small bulletin board inside a pretty, antique-looking frame. What's nice about it is that since the postcards are only pinned in place, I can change the display any time the spirit moves me--with the seasons, perhaps (although I don't think I'll do that, because these postcards are such sweet reminders of an idyllic "second honeymoon" with my husband).

Well, that's it for today's random ramblings. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Nice ... I may have to look for that myself! I have so many postcards of our travels around!

    ReplyDelete