Monday, January 16, 2012

How Much is That Doggie (or Horsey) in the Window?

My #4 son recently sent this photo, iPhone to iPhone, of his puppy Finny, a lab/shepherd mix with an overabundance of energy, relaxing on the couch. Take a look at it and tell me the truth: doesn't it sort of make you want to go out and get yourself a dog?

Finny is smiling here, and why wouldn't he be? He's allowed up on the couch, like a human (dogs these days!), and the expression on his face--not to mention his body language--makes it clear that he knows he's just livin' the life.

Dogs get to me, they really do. I am a sucker for a cute puppy dog. But even though I could probably use the company of a furry little friend of my own in this big empty house when my husband is away on trips, my husband and I intend to stay strong and fight the urge to go shopping at our local SPCA. We are on the road too much these days, traveling to visit our kids and grandkids, to be tied down by a dog.

But oh, I do love dogs!

Last weekend, my husband and I went to the theater to see the movie War Horse, a wonderful World War I-era story about a young boy named Albert and his horse Joey. I'm not going to say a word about the plot, because I want you to go and see it and I don't want to ruin the heart-tugging ending. But I do highly recommend the movie; it's so beautifully done, and in many ways it's a great family movie--not really appropriate for young kids, though, due to some tough, realistic war scenes. What's so sweet about it is that it's basically one of those endearing boy-and-his-dog movies, along the lines of Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, and My Dog Skip...but the dog is a horse. I've got to tell you, I fell in love with that Joey.

And now I think I want a horse!

Of course, I'm a bit afraid of horses. I've never sat on one in my life, and I think I'd be terrified if I ever saddled up and found myself galloping at high speeds atop one of those enormous beasts. I've thought this through, however, and you see, I wouldn't have to ride my pet horse. I could just feed him apples and sugar cubes, and I'd brush his coat and braid his mane; I'd love him and pet him, and he'd nuzzle me...

But I suppose a horse would sort of tie my husband and me down at least as much as a dog, wouldn't it? So I suppose we won't be horse shopping anytime soon either.

Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to get my pet fix in small doses, from my sons' dogs Finny and Allie.

1 comment:

  1. War Horse was wonderful! And you would LOVE riding a horse. I rode one last year for the first time and fell in love with it!! Only got to "walk", but I held back at the end so I could kick it's sides and let him canter a little at the end and get a feel of how it would be to go a little fast. Fun, fun, fun!!

    ReplyDelete