Thursday, May 26, 2011

More on the Grandparent Thing

That was just too much fun talking about the whole grandparenting thing in yesterday's post, so I had to put up a few more quotes today--ones that didn't make the cut yesterday, but made my husband laugh when I read them to him aloud after I'd already pushed the "publish post" tab.

"Grandparents are there to help the child get into mischief they haven't thought of yet." -Gene Perret

"'You're more trouble than the children are' is the greatest compliment a grandparent can receive." -Gene Perret [I'd like to meet this Gene Perret, whoever he is, because he has made some hilarious observations about being a grandfather.]

Several years ago, when our son was newly engaged and grandchildren weren't even on the horizon yet, my husband and I were in a drugstore and saw this huge selection of funny t-shirts for wee ones. We were so amused by the sayings on the shirts that we ended up buying four of them in size 2T to put away for the far-off (or as it turned out, not so far-off) day when we would become grandparents. We wanted to buy one of each style, but finally managed to narrow it down to four t-shirts; my personal favorite is the one on the left in the above picture, and my husband's is on the right.

Just by buying these t-shirts, it seems we're already getting our grandchildren into "mischief they haven't thought of yet"! I hope their parents will have lots of patience with us.

Here is one more gem I came across in my travels; I love it because it makes me think of my husband and how much fun he's going to have playing with his grandkids: "To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word 'boo.'" -Robert Brault

If that is the description of a perfect granddad, my husband is the man for the job. And I'm looking forward to hearing our grandchildren squealing and giggling during games of "Tackle on the 45," "Mighty Mungus," "Sack of Potatoes," and "Booshz Booshz." (I don't even know how to spell that last game, which is one of my husband's own creation--but our boys will know what I'm talking about.)

No comments:

Post a Comment