Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Joy of Being a Grandparent

Here's one of those great Irish Proverbs (you just gotta love the Irish!): "Children are the rainbow of life; grandchildren are the pot of gold." [I think the guy in the picture above realized this without being told!]

I don't know this from firsthand experience yet, but I've watched my own parents and my husband's parents, and as much as they love us, I think they'd agree with Lois Wyse, who said: "If I had known how wonderful it would be to have grandchildren, I'd have had them first."

With the birth of my own first grandchildren (my oldest son's twins) imminent, I can't help but think about becoming a grandparent and what that means. I've come across some pithy words of wisdom on the subject that I thought I'd share.

"Grandmas are moms with lots of frosting." -Author Unknown [By the way, I love this one and will be happy to work hard at doing my part in this regard.]

"Grandfathers are just antique little boys." -Author Unknown

"Grandmas never run out of hugs or cookies." -Author Unknown [If there's one thing I can do, it's cookies.]

"Grandfathers are for loving and fixing things." -Author Unknown

"No cowboy was ever faster than a grandparent pulling a baby picture out of a wallet." -Author Unknown [Note to my husband here: Just think how cool YOU'LL look doing it, "Papa," because you'll actually be WEARING A COWBOY HAT!]

''Grandchildren don't stay young forever, which is good because Pop-pops have only so many horsey rides in them." -Gene Perret [And they have only so many games of "Tackle on the 45" in them, too, I'll bet.]

"Grandchildren are the dots that connect the lines from generation to generation." -Lois Wyse

"Grandchildren are God's way of compensating us for growing old." -Mary H. Waldrip

"It's amazing how grandparents seem so young once you become one." -Author Unknown [How very true!]

There are so many great sayings about the joy of grandparenting, I could go on for pages. But this will suffice for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment