Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy Birthday to My Baby!

My #5 son--my baby, one of my bookend boys--turns 19 today. This is what he looks like; isn't he a cutie pie?! Actually, this isn't a recent picture, and he doesn't really look like this anymore. He's 6'2" now and will no longer let me dress him in a Peter Pan collar. He's got a big, square chin, and his legs are a lot hairier these days. So yes, he's all grown up. (But in some ways, this is what he'll always be to me.)

We had our first four boys within a span of four years and three months, and we wondered if that was going to be it. Then, after a more than four year break, I found that I was expecting again--and this little guy came along almost exactly five years after son #4. He truly did complete our family, and none of us can imagine life without him. God, in His infinite wisdom, knew how much we needed this sweet precious soul amongst us.

Oh, no, you're probably thinking, here she goes with the bragging again. All she does is brag about her children! You got me there, I guess; but seriously, if you've met this boy, you know what a wonderful person he is.

My youngest son is one of the most tender-hearted people I've ever known. As a little fella, he always had a maturity about him, a wise-beyond-his-years quality, that was unusual in one so young. Most remarkably, he has retained a deep, sincere devotion to his Catholic Faith that is inspiring--even throughout the teen years when so many kids lose their fervor (or even drift away from their faith completely). He's very special, that's what I'm saying. He's a role model. And when I grow up, I want to be just like him.

My youngest son is also a funny guy with a great sense of humor. He does hilarious, spot-on impressions of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Kermit the Frog (among others). And he can draw a mean T-Rex, FYI.

I could go on and on, because--as you can probably tell--I love this kid to pieces. He's out at his college far, far away, so I can't be there to say this in person; but here's wishing a Happy Birthday to my sweet baby boy!

1 comment: