Thursday, April 7, 2011

Making Christening Dresses, Part 2

On March 8, I blogged about trying to make christening dresses for the twin babies my son and his wife are expecting. I had discovered a box of white linen pillow shams, with cutwork and embroidery on them, that had belonged to my late mother-in-law, and my plan was to take them apart and (hopefully) figure out how to turn them into dresses.

I ended up making two of them in one style and then I thought it might be too long and voluminous if the babies were preemie-sized; so I made two more in another simpler, shorter style.

I used one of my porcelain dolls (who happens to look a lot like the twins' father when he was a baby) to model the two types of dresses. I think she looks sweet in them.




Making christening dresses out of pillow shams is exactly the sort of project my mother-in-law would enjoy and appreciate. I miss her and wish I could show them to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment