Apparently, there is a new home decor trend called the "Enough Movement." I just saw an article about this (on Substack, I believe), and as I was reading it I realized that I've been way ahead of the curve on this one. I had the "Enough" mindset ingrained in me long ago, very early in our marriage.
In a nutshell, here's what it's all about: homeowners are beginning to appreciate "homes that feel complete without constant updates." They are resisting the urge to "constantly refresh, replace and renovate." Instead they are embracing the idea of having a place that feels "complete, comfortable and fit for real life, not endless improvement." It's all about "longevity over novelty and comfort over show." I love this philosophy! I love an imperfectly perfect house that has a history and reflects the personalities of the owners so much more than one that is so exquisitely appointed that it looks like it jumped out of the pages of a glossy home decorating magazine.
This, article, my dear readers, puts into words exactly how I've felt about home decor my whole adult life. This was partly because of financial concerns, to be sure (we couldn't have afforded constant home updates when we started out and were raising our five boys, even if we'd wanted them); but it was also because we were trying to be frugal: to feather our nest by doing paint touch-ups when necessary, adorning our walls with meaningful art and framed family photos, repurposing pieces of furniture as our family's needs changed, and purchasing new furniture that we planned (or at least hoped) would last us for years to come. We were definitely in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp.
Don't get me wrong: I love a good DIY home project as much as the next gal (such as when my husband and I refinished our basement here in VA to make a giant playroom for our grandkids, or when we turned our attached two-car garage in NH into an awesome sports-themed man cave/mudroom). But I'm uncomfortable with the idea of ripping out perfectly good kitchen cabinets that are still functional and well-made, for instance, just because they aren't the latest popular style. In our renovation-crazed culture, this sort of thing has been very much the norm for a number of years now; but I guess the tide is turning a bit.
Another aspect of the "Enough Movement" is the idea of "choosing contentment over constant change"--and I can totally relate to that sentiment! I have trouble with change, that's for sure. Once I grow used to the way things look in our house, and I know that my kids and grandkids have grown used to them, too, I have trouble making any big changes. I think there's something kind of comforting about the idea of entering a home you've known for years and finding almost everything exactly as you remember it. Especially if it's a warm, cozy, happy home--and I truly do hope that that's the way our family sees our place. (This past year, I had to change a damaged rug, a runner that goes from our front door into the foyer area of the house. I tried to get one almost exactly like the old one, but it was just a tad different. And our then 8-year-old grandson immediately noticed and said, "You got a new rug." They notice the smallest changes, I'll tell you!)
We've been in this VA house for ten years now. And sometimes, I look at the half-bath on the first floor and wonder if I should spruce it up a little. It really hasn't changed at all since we moved in. (I wrote a blog post about this bathroom long ago if you want to fact check me on that!)
![]() |
| These are photos taken of the birds on our NH bathroom walls, before we painted over them to get that house ready for sale. |



No comments:
Post a Comment