Sunday, December 10, 2023

Baby’s First Christmas Dress

Our youngest son's first child, a daughter who turns one in March (I must give her a blog name one of these days!), is going to be celebrating her first Christmas this year.   She was with us for Thanksgiving, but will be at her maternal grandparents' house in the Midwest for Christmas.

While she and her parents were with us in November, I finished making a Christmas dress for her.  I hadn't sewn anything for her yet and thought it was about time.

I have the coolest pattern book (pictured) that enables you to make dresses from infant sizes up to a girls' size 10. There's a basic pattern (shown on the cover) and then inside, it shows lots of ways to make adjustments that essentially turn you into a dress designer.  I just love it.  Although I must admit, that simple retro-looking dress on the cover, with the Peter Pan collar, is my absolute favorite style for little girls, and it's the one I've made the most often since getting this pattern book.

This little granddaughter's mom likes to cook and bake, so I thought the material I found at JoAnn's was perfect for her. 



After I was finished, my daughter-in-law asked if I could make a matching headband/bow.  I didn't quite trust myself with that task, so I found an inexpensive pre-made set at TJ Maxx and added a button to one of them, using the same material as the collar of the dress.


While our little sweetie was here, we had her open a gift from us--one of those "Baby's First Doll" deals.  My late mother-in-law used to say, "A little girl should always get a doll for Christmas."  I like that way of thinking. 




She thought it was delicious. 


She is a little doll herself.  And I just love her!

3 comments:

  1. I love that fabric! She will look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first Christmas dress symbolizes innocence, tradition, and perhaps the joy of experiencing special tile occasions. It carries with it memories of festivities, family gatherings, and the spirit of giving. In contrast, commercial concrete represents durability, strength, and the foundation upon which many structures are built. It embodies reliability, functionality, and the practical aspects of construction and infrastructure.

    ReplyDelete