Saturday, November 18, 2023

Preparing for Family Fun

It has been BUSY, BUSY, BUSY in the Pearl family.  And I've done nothing but bake birthday cakes--not that I'm complaining, because I love both baking and eating cakes; but I must admit that I'm a bit caked-out.

October and November are big birthday months for us.  In October, our oldest son turned 40 (which I blogged about).  But in October, we had four grandchildren with birthdays as well: one grandson turned 9, another 5, and another 3; one granddaughter turned 4.  (And three of those grandchildren's birthdays happened three days in a row!)  Then in November, we've had one grandson turn 8, a granddaughter turn 4, and tomorrow another granddaughter turns 6.  Phew!  I was going to blog about all those birthdays, but alas, I never got around to it.  And I think I just need to move on now and stop worrying about catching up with every bit of news, or I'll never come back to this blog.

On Monday, our youngest son, his wife and their 8-and-1/2-month old little girl will be coming to spend Thanksgiving with us.  (They will be out in Michigan with her clan this Christmas.)

Look at this angel!  I can't wait to see her again!

I asked our baby and his wife whether or not I should decorate for Christmas early, so they can enjoy the decked halls while they're here.  The answer was a resounding yes.  So in the coming days, I will be putting up wreaths and garlands, setting up lighted villages and Nativities, finding the perfect spots for my giant wooden St. Nicks, etc.  (I think I'll wait to put up and decorate the tree until after Turkey Day, but I'm going to try to get the rest done.)

I've got the basement guest room all set.  The baby isn't really sleeping in a crib yet, and will be on the big bed with her mama.  (Our son, at almost 6'3", has trouble sharing this queen-sized bed with both his wife and daughter, so he will most likely be crashing in an upstairs bedroom!)

But here's the ladies' bedroom, all set up for them.

The bed is normally in the center of the wall, with a little table and lamp on either side.  But I pushed it up against the side wall for safety's sake.

Our daughter-in-law's favorite chocolates are on the nightstand.

A new Christmas outfit awaits our granddaughter (in the makeshift "closet" of the bedroom).

Their Christmas gifts are all wrapped, in a gift bag that's ready to take with them when they go.



This guest bedroom is just off the playroom, as you can see.
 

I'm so excited that we're going to have them with us!

I always get excited to have my kids and their kids over, anytime, for any reason.  Today, in fact, all the VA gang are coming for an impromptu party, to watch the Notre Dame football game together.  There will be 7 or 8 adults and 13 or 14 children (not sure if the littlest guy and his mom, who live about 50 minutes away, will be coming along or not).  I started puttering around this morning, getting things ready.  It's going to be very simple fare: grapes, cheese and crackers, potato chips and dip, tortilla chips and salsa, nuts and other snack mixes, beer, soda, and pizzas delivered from Domino's. (I also baked up some chocolate chip cookies, which was a nice little change of pace from cake-baking!)

I had to clean up the play area of the basement in preparation, of course.  It was still a bit of a mess from the last grandchildren visit about a week ago.  I like to start out with a clean, orderly playroom, because I think the kids do better when it's that way at the outset.  (I have a post on this subject languishing in my drafts; perhaps one of these days I'll publish that!)

By the way, I never thought we'd have so many dolls in our playroom, having raised only sons.  But look at our collection!  

Anyway, more about dolls and toys and such later, when I finally post that draft.  In the meantime, Happy Saturday to you. 

And GO IRISH!

4 comments:

  1. I love the way you prepare for guests. Both my mom and mother in law are thoughtful like that as well. And i love your doll station with baskets. In fact, organizing is a secret love of mine and my second daughter, and love peeks into others' set ups. I would enjoy a tour of your playroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also can feel the joy in how you prepare for your guests! It must make them feel known and loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy busy busy is so much better than dead! So glad you can have visitors and enjoy each other! Hope it's all going swimmingly. Though crazy she's 8.5 months old! She was just born I swear!

    ReplyDelete