Saturday, November 20, 2021

Insta Inspiration

Every now and then, my daughter-in-law Ginger (wife of son #2) takes a screenshot of an Instagram post she thinks I would like.

I deleted all my social media accounts at the beginning of 2021, and while I don't miss Facebook and Twitter a bit, I do sometimes miss Instagram.  Ginger knows that I am a recovering Instagram addict who doesn't want to go on a scrolling binge, but that I miss certain people on the site--and I miss them terribly.  So she likes to keep me a little bit in the loop. There are so many wonderful writers on that platform who provide keen insights, helpful advice, and Faith-filled inspiration for women, and one of them is mother of nine, grandmother, homeschooler, writer, and Internet "influencer" Elizabeth Foss.  (If you don't know who she is, you should look her up.)

Here is a recent Elizabeth Foss Instagram post that Ginger texted me a few days ago, with this note: "a little Insta inspiration for this Wednesday morning."  


 

Inspiration indeed!

It's hard for me to describe how much I love this essay on the value and dignity of stay-at-home motherhood.  I remember hurtful comments over the years, even by several people close to me, not-so-subtly insinuating that the only reason I didn’t have a job was that my husband made so much money that I could be spoiled and lazy and “do nothing.”   (I think some pictured me spending my days lounging on the couch, eating bon bons while I watched soap operas on TV.  Seriously!)

The sacrifices my husband and I made were not apparent to anyone on the outside looking in, because we didn't talk or complain about them.  We made them freely and joyfully, believing that our household would not run as peacefully and efficiently as it did if I tried to work outside our home while raising our boys.  I am not judging those moms who do work; some have to, for financial or other personal reasons, and I applaud the sacrifices they make for the good of their families.  But fortunately, we could make the choice to live on what my husband made--in certain seasons, it was paycheck to paycheck, but even then it was doable.  So we did it, and we never regretted the decision we'd made to have me concentrate my energies on keeping the home fires burning.  

My life’s work might not have looked like much in the eyes of the world.  But this gem from Elizabeth Foss says it all: “So much of what is valuable about your life is done in secret.”

Wow.  That is the most profoundly true statement.  Beautifully put. Some people have the gift of arranging words so perfectly that you want to reread them just to enjoy their beauty.  Elizabeth Foss is one of those people.

I do sometimes miss Instagram, especially when I read posts like this one.  Keep those screenshots coming, Ginger!

Have a great weekend, everyone.  

3 comments:

  1. So true! I envy your ability to do for your family what you did! I know it wasn't always easy, but you made it look that way. Love you!❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing Ginger does to share with you posts that she thinks you would want to read!
    The "job" of being a stay at home mom is every bit as important as the job of a woman who works outside the home. We each have our own struggles and accomplishments. I think it's important that we celebrate these individual accomplishments, not compare or compete. Bottom line is a happy home. đź’•

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this. I am just starting out with motherhood and sometimes dream about retirement and a quiet clean house. Your advent tea looked so wonderful! Scrubbing poop off the carpet isn't at all meaningful until i think that everyone would yell if i didn't do it and they stepped in the mess. (Potty training is my least favorite part of parenting!)

    ReplyDelete