Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Seems Like Old Times

We spent last week in VA, checking on our house and catching up with the four boys who live there and their families, and also with our youngest son and his wife, who have recently moved to Nashville and had a little time between jobs and grad school to visit with us. What a great week we had!  

I plan to share pictures from that family-packed week in a future post, but today I have a different topic to tackle.  Today I'm talking about school days.

Our oldest son and his wife homeschool their kids, so I don't know their official "start date" for the 2021-2022 academic year. (But I'm happy to report that I'm planning to hold a weekly sewing lesson class this school year for my granddaughters!)  Our middle son's oldest two children started their first week of first grade and kindergarten at a small private Christian school while we were in VA.  Our second-oldest son's firstborn was set to start his first day of kindergarten yesterday, while we were on the road, northward bound.  When we saw him and his family on Sunday, our son told us that his boy's Catholic school uniform is gray pants and a white shirt--just what our boys had to wear at their Catholic grade school back in the day.  Wow, did that bring back memories!  

We are back in NY now, where we will spend the rest of the summer keeping tabs on our VRBO rental house (and boating around Lake Champlain).  Thinking about our grandson's Catholic school uniform, I decided to find a picture of his dad wearing his gray-and-white get-up to show my daughter-in-law, and I realized that I had one on an old post here at the blog.  I did some digging through the archives and found that post, written 10 years ago when our youngest son (28 now and married) was about to graduate from high school and I hadn't even become a Grammy yet.  So much has changed in those 10 years!  And yet, with grandchildren it's almost like you get to live those sweet early years with your own children all over again.  In a way, it seems like old times.

Here's that heart-tugging archived post, if you're interested.  (Meanwhile, I'll just be here crying into my coffee.)

3 comments:

  1. That post is a perfect example of why you need to keep writing - it was sweet the first time but even more so ten years later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! History does sometimes repeat itself in happy ways.

    ReplyDelete