Tuesday, February 16, 2021

The Bible in a Year: Be Still

My husband and I are participating in Ascension's "The Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz)", a daily podcast that will take us through the entire Bible during 2021.  I have never read the Bible cover-to-cover, because that was an undertaking that always seemed incredibly daunting to me.  In fact, I'm ashamed to admit how little time I have actually spent reading the Bible at all in my 62 years of life on this glorious planet  God gave us to inhabit--a planet that I appreciate even more now, as a matter of fact, after journeying through Genesis with the help of the most cheerful and insightful travel guide imaginable.  (You've gotta love Fr. Mike!) 


We first heard about this Bible study daily podcast from our middle son, who started it on January 1 (he is also doing an Exodus 90 program of physical and spiritual exercises, growing stronger in mind and body and stronger in his Faith).  We were about two weeks behind when we decided to join in, so we doubled up on the podcasts until we caught up with everyone else.  Today is day 47 of the Bible in a Year program, and we are in the process of working our way through Exodus, Leviticus, and Psalms.

I told my husband last night that just with what we've covered so far, I believe that I am starting to know God our Creator better, and I'm developing a deeper love for Him.  I've always felt that I could picture what Jesus was like, because He was not only divine but also spent 33 years here on earth as a flesh-and-blood man; it seemed easier to know and love Him, a fellow human being, than His all-powerful Father in Heaven.  But the Old Testament is giving me a whole new appreciation of God, a deeper understanding of His love and mercy; and each day I look forward to the time spent following along in my Bible as Fr. Mike reads aloud, and then afterward, listening to the lessons he has to teach about that day's passages.  If you had told me beforehand how very much I would look forward to this activity each and every day, I would not have believed you.  

Considering the mess that the world is in right now--considering the widespread fear, anger, and violence, the ugly divisions that are literally tearing us apart--I could not have picked a better time to stop reading Facebook and Twitter newsfeeds (my husband and I have both deleted our accounts) and start reading the Bible instead. It has been a balm for my soul.  Just when I start to feel utter hopelessness about the current state of the world, the Word of God gives me hope. Just when I think that the future is dark and bleak and wonder what kind of world my beloved grandchildren are going to inherit, The Word of God gives me peace.  And I need to believe that it will all turn out okay, because I have too many precious people in my life (like this 16-month-old angel, #15 of our 17 grandchildren) who deserve a beautiful future. 

Hope and peace, that's what I'm finding in the pages of the Bible.  I absolutely loved this recently read passage, and I intend to make it my mantra:

The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still. (Exodus 14:14)

Wow... Wow, there's so much to unpack there (as Fr. Mike might say).  What a relief!  I can put my worries in God's hands and be assured that all will be well, because He is fighting for me, for all of us.  How do I know this?  The Bible tells me so.

2 comments: