Thursday, January 14, 2021

Getting off the Grid (Sort of...)

Over the past week or so, I deleted my Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram accounts.

GULP!  AAAGGGHHH!

It's fine.  I'm fine.

The first two, Facebook and Twitter, were relatively easy break-ups for me. Because of the truly scary privacy concerns I have regarding the tech giants who control them, along with all the angry, bitter political back-and-forth that dominates those platforms (at least on my feeds!), it was actually a very freeing feeling to remove them from all of my devices and know that those familiar icons would not be calling out to me anymore, giving me that hard-to-ignore urge to click and "just look for a minute"...which in turn, more often than not, led me to scroll endlessly when I should have been spending my limited time on this earth doing something more meaningful.

I used Instagram stories to announce my departures from FB and Twitter (because I wasn't quite ready to dump Instagram yet!).



LinkedIn was also extremely easy to leave.  I only joined that site a number of years ago to use it as a way to promote my two Catholic novels, Finding Grace (2012) and Erin's Ring (2014)but even at the beginning I rarely posted anything on there, and I never really figured out how to use that social media tool to its maximum benefit.  I wrote my books during the seven-year period that occurred after more than two decades of being a  full-time SAHM to five boys--beginning when the youngest of our sons started high school, and ending when the grandchildren had started to arrive and the rest of our single older boys started to get married in quick succession.  (I mean, really quick: three of them were married in an 11-month period, between Dce. 2013 and Nov. 2014!!) Once I became a grandmother, I moved beyond the novel-writing phase of my life and entered the SAHG (Stay-at-Home-Grammy) era.  (Ha ha--at my age, perhaps I should just call it the "SAG" era?  But I digress.) And the sad truth is that my books are now out of print--although used copies are still sold on Amazon.  (Luckily, I have a personal stash that I purchased from my publisher a while back, so even if I have lots more grandchildren than I already do, I should have enough to give them all a copy of each book.)  Anyway, the bottom line is that I realized I just don't need to be a part of a career networking site anymore, if I ever did, so farewell LinkedIn.

The only site that was painfully hard to leave was Instagram, where I followed some of the most inspiring, talented, funny, faith-filled Catholic writers and "influencers" (most of them former bloggers whom I'd originally discovered through their blogs), along with a number of beloved family members.  I LOVED Instagram, I won't lie.  But Instagram is owned by Facebook, and as a matter of principle, I felt I needed to make a complete break.  That was the one that hurt.  That was the one site that gave me the most joy and the one I'll probably always miss.

HOWEVER, truth be told, Instagram wasn't really all that good for me, no matter how much I tried to convince myself otherwise.  I spent too much time thinking about what picture I could take for my next post. (Never have I taken so many pictures of the food I was cooking or eating!)  I was scrolling through feeds that led me to other feeds, and then to others, and others...and before I'd know it, I had spent over an hour gazing at the lovely pictures of complete strangers...and sometimes, comparing myself negatively with their curated perfection.  Also, like Facebook, Instagram knew what kind of clothes I liked, what kind of books I read, and it was constantly enticing me to buy a cute lace top or a WWII historical novel that looked like it was right up my alley.  In a way, I'll miss those well-targeted IG ads, because they exposed me to some items that I would never have otherwise found on my own.  But then again, isn't it a little creepy that Instagram knew exactly the kind of things I normally purchased?  Isn't it a little concerning that my online activities are being followed, and noted, by some phantom Internet overseer?

So I said my sad good-bye to IG with this post last Sunday:


I thought it was apropos to go out with a photo of a cup of coffee, a good book, a set of Rosary beads, and a picture of Jesus.  This pretty much tells the story of how I'm hoping to spend the extra time I'll have now that I'm not distracted by what's happening on IG.

I guess I'm kind of off the grid--but I'm still here at my String of Pearls (which turns 10 this March!), so that's not quite true.  I've decided that I'd like to get back into blogging (and that right there is a statement that seems almost as old-fashioned as saying, "I think it's time to bring back VHS and cassette tapes").  Hopefully I'll be blogging more, praying more, and reading more good books.  Sewing and drawing more, too.  That's my plan for 2021.

So I'll be back, dear readers.  And if you have a blog that I used to read, before I got so thoroughly entrenched in the IG world, I may be visiting it more often now.  And when I do, I'll most likely be drinking coffee.

(Please note: I am not judging you if you still enjoy all the aforementioned forms of social media; for me personally, the negatives had begun to outweigh the positives, so I did what I felt I had to do for my spiritual and mental well-being.)


19 comments:

  1. I will miss you on social media (I'm almost there, but not quite ready to give it up) but I will come here every day to see what fun stuff you are writing about. I love you and TOTALLY understand why you had to. I'm just so happy you're not giving this blog up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for always supporting me in everything I do! You're the best!

      Delete
  2. Getting off social media is so freeing. Have you seen The Social Dilemma? We just had a parent meeting by zoom last night with all the Catholic Schools in the area to discuss. It will make you feel so much better about getting rid of it! Happy to have you blog more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS freeing! Yes, we did see The Social Dilemma, and it was terrifying.

      I am happy to be back here. And it's funny, I guess there might be a trend of people leaving Instagram and going back to blogging. My daughter-in-law said that Ana Hahn is doing that--her blog is called Time Flies When You're Having Babies, do you know that one?

      Delete
  3. Oooh, LinkedIn... I hadn't thought about that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hardly ever on there anyway, so that one was easy for me.

      Delete
  4. I'll miss you over at Instagram...but I'll be so glad to see more of you here. I've missed reading blogs. So many people have abandoned theirs (me included!) but blogs are a wonderful way to connect with others and to share our stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely miss Instagram...but I really was spending too much time on there!

      I've missed blogs, too. They kind of went the way of the dinosaur. And admittedly, it is so much easier to post a picture and a short blurb on IG than to try to put together a whole blog post. But I love to write, and blogging is a great outlet. So I'm excited to try to get back into it.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it interesting how many of us are heading that way. I've removed fb/and fb pm and instagram off my phone. It's all rather freeing, already far happy with those choices. I discovered a way to upload photos from my computer to instagram but really it's only a matter of time till the next step. Fb goes once I finish participating in an upcoming Summit early February. Whats app is our next to go as well.
    Mostly I'm excited as I have wondered and I think is true that these other mediums take away from my first love, blogging. So here's hoping we all find our way back to our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, old friend! It is rather freeing, isn't it?!

      My first love was always blogging, too, and all those other social media platforms were taking me away from it. Happy to be back, and hope to "see" more of you now. :)

      Delete
  6. I am so glad you will still be blogging! I can definitely understand your concerns and reasons for the big changes. I love reading your updates and I’m glad I can continue to follow along here. I pray you and your family are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. And thanks for the prayers, we could always use them.

      Delete
  7. Same page!! I do miss Insta, but I could have written your paragraph about it verbatim- I just could not justify it and it has been weirdly freely while still being a little sad. But yay for being back on the blogging train!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--weirdly freeing, yet still sad (I'm offering it up as a sacrifice for our poor country!). However, I think I was happier back in the days when I got up and wrote here regularly. So yay for blogging!

      Delete
  8. The targeted ads are weirdly enticing, I know!! I'm impressed by your self control, and I hope this is fruitful for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are enticing! They worked on me. In a weird way, I’ll miss them..,they pointed me to some great books.

      But I can say that getting off has already been fruitful. It’s might not be the right choice for everyone, but it was for me.

      Delete
  9. Oh, my! I can't believe that I grew accustomed to your not blogging very often and had not checked here for a few weeks. I see I have a lot to catch up on!
    I, too, enjoy your blogs and hope you keep this connection to us. In the meantime, I sent you a text because I thought of you and wanted you to know. Be well, be safe.

    ReplyDelete