Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Coming Soon: A Review of Ascension Press's "Altaration" DVD Series

Back in April, I did a brief blog review of the trailer for Ascension Press's "Altaration" DVD series.  Not too long afterward, the generous folks at Ascension Press sent me the whole DVD set for review.  My husband and I thought the trailer was extremely powerful, and we were anxious to watch the rest of the series together.
But time got away from us...

We had a lot going on in May, including a trip out to Notre Dame for the college graduation of our youngest son.   In June, we were on the road out to the Midwest once again, visiting with our oldest son and his wife and our four precious granddaughters.

At the end of June, we headed up to Plattsburgh, NY, where we both grew up, to spend most of the summer.  A beloved niece was getting married in late July, and we planned to stay at least through the wedding festivities before heading back to NH at the end of the month.  My husband never used to take all of his vacation weeks in one lump when our boys were growing up; but now that we're empty-nesters, he thought it would be relaxing for us to spend an extended amount of time in his beloved boyhood home on the shore of Lake Champlain.

We thought that once we got settled up there in early July, we would be able to give "Altaration" our full attention.  Plus, as an added bonus, we realized that in Plattsburgh, we had nieces and nephews who were just the right ages to be impacted by the series (some of them are in junior high, some are in high school, and a few of them are soon-to-be college freshmen), and who were staying there most of the summer, too. What a perfect opportunity to get some feedback from the target audience of this wonderful evangelization tool!  (Most of these kids attend Catholic schools, and they were able to compare the merits of "Altaration" with other Catholic teaching tools to which they've been  exposed--but more about that in a future post, which will be coming soon.)

I meant to snap some pictures of these truly extraordinary kids while they were in the family's so-called "fun room" one night in early July, watching Sessions 1 and 2 of the series on a 60-inch screen.  But having neglected to have my Nikon camera (or even my iPhone) at the ready that night, I'm going to show you some random photos of them instead.


These are absolutely phenomenal kids (no bias from this aunt, I swear), and I'm anxious to share their thoughts with you, along with those of my husband and myself.

Our nieces and nephews never did get to watch Sessions 3 through 5, because my husband and I got a bit sidetracked by a series of unexpected events--and before we knew it, our summer vacation with them was over.  If you come here often, you know that my husband got ill in July and wound up in the hospital, and then my parents needed some help when my mother started to suffer some health crises of her own.  So many things ended up on the back burner, and I'm so sorry that finishing the "Altaration" series was one of them!

But I wanted to let you know that my husband and I are watching the rest of the series now, so I'll be back soon with a comprehensive review.  And I'll give you a little teaser: one of my nephews (who will be attending Catholic University in the fall) said he thought that the way the material in Sessions 1 and 2 was presented made it very "relatable."

Stay tuned for more.

(P.S.: Don't forget the Goodreads giveaway.  Enter before August 15 to win one of two signed copies of Erin's Ring!)

No comments:

Post a Comment