Thursday, June 18, 2015

Crazy in Chazy

I am currently staying at my parents' house in bucolic Chazy, NY, a history-rich town located near the shore of Lake Champlain.  After months and months spent visiting with/traveling to see kids and grandkids, my dad said, "No more babysitting.  Now it's time for some mom and dad sitting!"

So I'm in Chazy, with my somewhat crazy quirky endearingly eccentric parents.  I'm staying at their house while my husband is away working back-to-back-to-back trips.  I miss him.  He's the kindest, sweetest, least crazy person I know (unless we're talking crazy-handsome).  I will see him on Sunday, and I'm counting the hours.

Anyway, since I found out that I had hyperparathyroidism last fall (and also found out that the condition had given me such bad osteoporosis that I have, to quote my doctor, "the bones of a 70 to 75-year-old woman"), I've been too busy--with the birth of two grandchildren, the surgery to remove the offending hyperactive gland, the wedding of one son, the graduation of my baby, and travels hither and yon to spend time with our kids--to start and stick to a work-out routine that will hopefully lead to better bone health.  Walking is supposed to be a very good exercise for calcium-compromised ladies like me, so I'm determined to walk a brisk four miles a day, every single day this summer, at the very least; and to add cardiovascular and weight training exercises to this routine when I have the opportunity.  The more muscles I have around my bones, the less likely it is that I'll break a hip if I fall.  (That's the hope, anyway!)

While I'm building my muscles on these long walks, I'm also saying my Rosary and thinking all sorts of important thoughts.  I'm clearing my head and letting go of any stress.  (Not that I'm feeling stressed-out here in Chazy or anything!)  I'm only on day two of this well-intentioned plan of mine, but I'm feeling very motivated. 

This morning, I got up bright and early to get in my daily exercise, before my mom had even woken up.  And I just have to tell you, Chazy is a crazy-beautiful and crazy-interesting place to walk.

This area has got some crazy-famous historical landmarks, carefully noted with signs.
The Revolutionary War!

The Battle of Plattsburgh, War of 1812!


And other cool historical milestones!
There are also MacIntosh apple trees everywhere, in this orchard-crazy town.
And crazy-old graveyards, with crazy-old headstones.  (This one is right across the street from my folks' place.)

But the best thing about Chazy is that it sits on the shore of crazy-gorgeous Lake Champlain. 
How's that for a view?!  Crazy, huh?  With scenery like that along my walking route, I might just stick to this exercise regimen!

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Walking while saying a rosary is my favorite! Enjoy your time with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love saying the Rossry on walks! Sometimes when I say it inside with my husband, I get too comfy and fall asleep. The angels have finished far too many Rosaries for me. At least when I'm walking, I'm fully awake!

      Delete
  2. Re your bones, have you tried making bone broths? Just delving into that area myself and my organic farmer was telling me he has osteoarthritis 'ladies' who rave about the organic beef bones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking of trying that. My son and his wife have started making that, and I think no will, too.

      Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this post! I have to share it. We will have to go for a walk together this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete