Thursday, June 21, 2012

Designer Duckies

I was packing for my trip last night (I'm heading off to the airport with my husband this morning, well before the crack of dawn)--and look at what I found in my suitcase.  Blimey, a couple of stowaways!  Hey, how in the Sam Hill did they get in there?

Okay, I'll come clean.  I'm the one who put those rubber duckies in there, and now you can probably guess where we're going.  That's right, we're traveling down south to AL, to visit with/babysit for our twin granddaughters (yippee-ki-yay!) and to see their parents, too.  And those two little cutie pies (the babies, that is) happen to have a soft spot for rubber duckies.

Rubber ducks have certainly come a long way from when our boys played with them in the bathtub.  Back in the day, they came in one style only, at least as far as I knew: they were yellow with orange bills and wide-open black eyes.  (And actually, the rubber duck that the twins first got attached to was one of those old school-style quackers.)  But these days, designer duckies are all the rage.  You can find them in just about every color of the rainbow, and you can also find them dressed up as all sorts of characters: policemen, firemen, cheerleaders, football players, bakers, brides and grooms, doctors, nurses, mermaids...well, you get the idea.  And you can find them duded up as cowboys and cowgirls, as you can see.  Earlier this month, we sent the twins a pair of hot pink princess ducks for their birthday, with silver crowns on their heads and silver scepters under their wings.  I thought we'd show up at their house today with a cowboy duckie, to remind the girls of their cowboy hat-wearin' Papa, and a cowgirl, too--not because Grammy wears a cowboy hat, but just because the two of them made a nice couple.

Designer ducks; what will they think of next?  They're so silly...and yet, I can't resist them!

Wish us luck on our flights.  And keep on the lookout for the pictures I'll be posting over the next week or so.  If you think these rubber ducks are cute, y'all just wait until you see my granddaughters.

2 comments:

  1. Adorable! Have a wonderful trip. I can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are my Chincoteague ducks! :)

    ReplyDelete