Saturday, June 18, 2011

An Early Happy Birthday to My Husband

Tomorrow is my husband's birthday, and it is also Father's Day. How a propos that the two celebrations fall on the same day...because he truly is the best father in the world (and I'm a totally objective person when it comes to him).

Even the rush my husband got from flying F-18 fighter jets in the Navy was nothing compared to that of spending time with his boys. Landing on an aircraft carrier: very cool. Being surrounded by his cute, rambunctious, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle t-shirt-clad sons: even cooler.

These days, he's a commercial airline pilot; but if you ask him what he does, he identifies himself as a father first, a pilot second.

My husband is just the best, that's all there is to it--and easy on the eyes to boot. He is, as the kids are saying these days, "all that and a bag of chips." (Are they still saying that, or did I just prove how out of touch I am?)

I am so happy that I've known him since we were kids. We started dating at 15, and when we were together a whole year later, we got all dressed up to go out for a big fancy dinner on his 16th birthday. That's a lot of birthdays ago, and I still think he's the best thing since sliced bread. Our high school principal, Sr. Bernadine, believed my husband should become a priest, and I think sometimes hoped I'd be out of the picture at some point. Back then, I never thought she liked me a whole lot; I realize now that she might have viewed me as a stumbling block to his vocation. But Christian fatherhood is also a noble and necessary vocation, and my kids and I are extremely thankful that he chose it.

So Happy Birthday to the best husband/father/pilot/cowboy that I know! XXOO

No comments:

Post a Comment