Monday, June 15, 2015

I Smell a Sequel to Yesterday's Post

If you read yesterday's post, you know that our twin granddaughters like to sniff their Papa and me.  They tell us that we have a smell (a good one, I trust), and that it lingers behind us when we leave a room.  This need to smell us has always seemed rather endearing, although a little bizarre.  But apparently, it's not as strange as one might think.

As both Nancy Shuman and Madeline commented yesterday, there is a scene in the original "Parent Trap" movie, starring Haley Mills, that involves one of the twins she plays (Susan) sniffing her grandfather's jacket--for the purpose of "making a memory."

I searched to the best of my technology-challenged ability to find a YouTube clip of that scene to share with you here; but having failed on that score, here's a snippet from the movie script:

Charles McKendrick: [Susan starts sniffing the coat he is wearing]  My dear, what are you doing?
Susan Evers: Making a memory.
Charles McKendrick: Making a memory?
Susan Evers: All my life, when I'm quite grown-up I will always remember my grandfather and how he smelled of
[smells his jacket again]
Susan Evers: tobacco and peppermint.
Charles McKendrick: Smelled of tobacco and peppermint.
[starts chuckling]
Charles McKendrick: Well, I'll tell you what.  I take the peppermint for my indigestion, and as for the tobacco
[looks around]
Charles McKendrick: to make your grandmother mad.


I thought my sweet little grandson G-Man was just going in for a snuggle in the above picture, taken a month or so ago during our lengthy sojourn with him in VA; but perhaps he, too, was simply learning how to "make a memory."  Perhaps it's not just twins who like to take the time to stop and smell the grandparents.

19 comments:

  1. G-Man knows what's up! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Take the time to stop and smell the grandparents" !!! That may be my favorite line of all time from any blog :)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D

      I thought I was finished with the post with the words "make a memory"; then that last sentence popped into my head and I decided to add it just before I hit the "publish" button. I'm glad now that I added it!

      Delete