Sunday, June 30, 2013

What I Wore Sunday, Volume 15

It's link-up time!
I'm not going to show you what I wore to church today, because I've already modeled it on this link-up in a previous post.  But I will tell you this about my ensemble: along with my brown cotton sundress and peach-colored cotton shrug, I wore a very, very big smile at the 9:00 a.m. Mass--because my husband and I had one of our boys with us in the pew, for the first Sunday in a long time.  Our baby returned from Paris last night (and he DID get to ride home on the plane his dad was piloting!), and it made me feel so proud and happy that he was there with us this morning.

The last two summers, our son worked at the movie theater, where he had the awesome perk of free movie tickets for himself and a friend, anytime he wanted them.  This summer he's been in France pretty much since he came home from college, so he's had to settle for watching occasional DVD's on his computer and hasn't seen a movie in the theater in ages. He's been dying to see the new Superman movie that came out a few weeks ago, so after we had our post-Mass bacon-and-egg brunch today, we headed out to catch a matinee at his old place of employment.
On the way to the theater, our boy was telling my husband and me that he'd heard people were split about this latest superhero-themed blockbuster: some thought it was fantastic, and others thought it was too over-the-top and didn't like it at all.  Well, after seeing it (in 3-D no less, because all the regular-D showings were sold out, and we didn't feel like coming back later), the three of us all agreed that yes, it's really over-the-top--but in spite of that, we really enjoyed it.  If you're looking for a good escape movie (and you don't mind seeing lots and lots of buildings blown up and destroyed), this might be the movie for you.

We got some really great fashion accessories along with our tickets for Man of Steel, so when we got back from the movie I decided to have my husband take a picture of my boy and me sporting them.
We're just a couple of really cool cats, aren't we?

Here's what we wore to the Sunday afternoon matinee:

My son:
~Long-sleeved polyester Under Armor-type tee (with ND logo and Fisher Hall printed on it): Fisher Hall dorm sales
~UVA lacrosse shorts: a shop in downtown Charlottesville, VA
~Really cool 3-D glasses: Regal Theaters

Me:
~Yellow polka-dot cardigan: Spence Knits, from BJ's Wholesale Club
~White cotton tank: Wal-Mart
~Black denim skirt: Larry Levine, from Goodwill ($4.99, on sale for $2.50!)
~Sandals: Clark's, from JC Penney
~Really cool 3-D glasses: Regal Theaters
~Smile: same one I've been wearing since this kid came home last night

I just love my new/old skirt.  It's deceptively full--it would make great square dancing attire, if one was so inclined.
Isn't it fun?  (It kind of reminds me of Superman's cape in the movie poster above.)

I'm thinking I'll be wearing this comfy, swingy, feminine skirt a lot, because I'm hoping to try to join Rosie (at "a blog for my mom") for a pants-free July...although I've tried to make the switch to dresses and skirts only before, and then jeans call out to me with their Siren's song and I'm too weak to ignore it.  So we'll see.   I'll at least try to wear them more than I do now.

But I WILL be wearing this smile for the next few days, I know that.  As for the next heart-wrenching good-bye at the airport on Wednesday morning, when my son will head down south for three weeks of Airborne school, I'm just not going to think about that right now!

For more fashions, check out the gals over at FLAP.

7 comments:

  1. love the skirt! enjoy the time with your son

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great day. :)
    I love your skirt and what a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu are the cutest and youngest looking mom of grown sons ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the full skirt! And the glasses match perfectly ;) Hope your son has a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura - Sons are so cool! And it certainly is a treat to be with one after a long absence. I love that photo of the 2 of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel bad that I never responded to any of these extremely nice comments--I was trying to break away from my laptop a bit while my boy was home between travels.

    I don't have the biggest readership, but I think I have the nicest. :)

    ReplyDelete