Thursday, June 27, 2013

Theme Thursday: Black and White

Nothing tells the story of how much my life has changed since our nest emptied out two years ago (when our youngest son went off to college) than this itty-bitty jar of peanut butter I picked up at the store yesterday.
There it is, in black and white: the story of our downsizing.

For the past thirty-ish years, I've been buying family-sized tubs of p.b., and yet it seemed like we were always running out.  When the boys were little and we'd visit their grandparents, I'd open the cabinet at lunchtime and spy the miniature jar of Jiff and mutter under my breath, "You've got to be kidding!  That's about enough for one meal!  Who buys peanut butter in such small quantities?"  (By the way, Mom and Dad, I get it now.)

Thanks be to God, none of my sons had a peanut allergy, because there were stretches when they lived on peanut butter (well, peanut butter and dare I admit it?--Kraft mac & cheese with hot dogs) during their childhood days.  It was one of the staples of their diet, and in all the years they lived in this house, I never once had to throw out a half-full jar because it had gone past the expiration date.

Well, a few days ago I was going through my pantry, trying to figure out what supplies I'm going to need for this weekend--because my baby is coming home from his six-week internship in Paris!  Yippee!  That boy eats nothing but p.b. & j. on a bagel for breakfast, every morning, without fail; so while I was making sure I had everything he would need, I happened to notice that it was long past the "best if used by" date on the still-half-full vat of peanut butter I'd bought for the troops over Christmas (or maybe last summer?  I really can't remember).  I simply couldn't believe I had to do it...but I threw it out.

Yesterday when I brought home that pathetically small, practically baby-sized jar, it was a sad reminder that there really aren't that many mouths to feed around here most of the time anymore.  My husband and I like peanut butter; but we don't eat it often enough to justify buying it in the enormous containers we needed to have on hand when we were feeding our growing lads back in the day.

Who would have thought that buying a small jar of peanut butter would make me feel so OLD?

(I ended up sounding pretty Eeyore-esque there, but don't feel sorry for me.  If my son doesn't use up that little jar during the three or four days he's home before he leaves for Army Airborne school, I'm going to whip up some peanut butter cookies--and probably eat them all, too--following an awesome three-ingredient recipe I got from my daughter-in-law: 1 c. peanut butter, 1 c. white sugar, 1 egg; bake for 8 min. at 350.  Mmmm-mmmm!!)

Okay now, for more B & W imagery, click on over to Clan Donaldson.

26 comments:

  1. I love that peanut butter cookie recipe!! We're gluten-free, so we make that one A LOT.

    And I love your ability to write such a wonderful post about something as mundane as peanut butter. We're in the bit family=sized tub mode..but it's actually my husband who eats a lot fo peanut butter, so I imagine we'll be there for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if that might be a popular gluten-free recipe. Who knew cookies could be so good without a speck of flour in them? This is the way I'm going to make them from now on. I've made (and eaten most of) one batch already, and they are delicious!

      Delete
  2. This made me cry and I have a toddler and I don't even like peanut butter. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...and sorry for making you cry! I've been a bit of a Debbie Downer lately, and it's because our youngest is half-way through college and has so much going on that he will be home very little this summer. I loved--and look back nostalgically on--the days when my house was full of boys; but I wouldn't go back in time, because I'd miss the grown-ups they've become. I should do a post on all the fun and positive aspects of empty-nesting--because that's the wonderful flip-side. It's great for my husband and me to have a lot of "just us" time, now that our sons are all grown. I should write about that more! :)

      Delete
    2. You know what, I'm going to do that! I need to talk more about how great life is when you've completed the job of raising your kids. I miss my boys...but I love spending all this time with just my best guy--it's like being on one long date! I don't want all the mommy bloggers out there to think it's bleak after the kids go, because it really isn't.

      Look for "Top Ten Reasons I Love Being an Empty-Nester" (or a Grammy!) one of these days soon. :)

      Delete
    3. Looking forward to reading it!!

      Delete
  3. Awwwwwww, interesting how something so small can bring so many memories. We are in the by peanut butter every time we go to Sam's Club (and it's a double large size jar pack)time in life. I'm sure it will "downsize" sooner than I'd care for.

    Love the positiveness at the end, PB cookies--and easy ones too!

    *just checking in on some favorites real quick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I spelled buy wrong...I type faster than my words can form sometimes....

      Delete
    2. Hi Jamie Jo! I hope you're having a peaceful break. I think of taking one, too...

      By the way, I have been reading through your archives on your little angel Simeon, God bless him! I can't imagine how tough it's been to watch him go through so much! I'll keep you all in my prayers.

      Delete
  4. Oh I am living the life right now I take it. My boys devour PB&J's all the time. The mac and cheese with hot dogs are on our menu every week as well. They enjoy chicken nuggets with baked beans too. At least I've been able to vary the jellies. They like grape, strawberry, and apricot. I even tried giving them almond butter so I don't feel like I'm being horrible letting them live off PB&J's. But, boys like what they like. I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do like what they like. And if they like something, the never get sick of it. (Let's talk bacon!) :)

      Delete
  5. I was just thinking today that I need to start buying LARGER jars of peanut butter! The kids would eat PB&J for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I let them :)

    And I love that recipe - I let the kids help me bake cookies the other day and that's the recipe we used because I don't trust them to help me measure flour :P We decorated with blue sugar and star sprinkles - somehow I imagine yours won't be similarly done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greatest cookie recipe ever! I'm actually considering trying it with brown sugar next time, but I don't know if they'll be as good.

      Delete
  6. Ah yes, certainly at the tub stage and always running out. This is so sweet. And I have made those cookies and they are delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. You always leave the nicest comments, no matter where you go to "visit."

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the recipe and the perspective of different stages of mommy-hood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd known about that recipe years ago! And I hope I don't make it all sound like doom and gloom. I just miss my guys, and most of them are not as geographically close to me as I wish they were!

      Delete
  8. This post made me think back to when I was first living on my own. I was so used to cooking for a large family, and having large quantities of things on hand (like the mega-pb jar) that it took quite a while to realize that I needed to buy the little one! Now, as my family grows, it is rather exciting to be buying bigger jars again. :-)

    Ooh, I'm going to have to try that cookie recipe. It looks perfect for when those cookie cravings hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, you brought back memories of early in my marriage. I grew up one of five and my husband was one of eight, and when we were newlyweds I just couldn't get the hang of cooking for two. My husband had to very gently tell me that he liked my cooking but he couldn't possibly eat it all--he was going to get fat!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh I just realized that it's lunchtime and I haven't even given it any thought. This whole morning lost to the black and whites....

    ReplyDelete
  10. When the house is full of kids for years on end, one often dreams of what it will be like to only cook for two again, but I know that it's not all it's cracked up to be :) Glad your son will be home with you for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It DOES have its good points--like not having to figure out how to make one dinner that every kid will eat! And way lower grocery bills! I really should blog more about the positive aspects. It would probably be a lot easier if my husband (who is an airline pilot) was home every night...I think I've been alone too much lately!

      Delete
  11. I can't imagine having an empty house. It's so loud here most of the time. On the two occasions that all the kids are gone at the same time the silence is almost creepy.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean--when you're used to the chaos, silence does seem a bit creepy. I never minded loud.

      My baby comes back from France tomorrow (actually, my husband is an airline pilot, and he'll be riding in the plane his dad is flying). I can't wait--I don't like being here alone. It's way too quiet!

      Delete