Saturday, April 23, 2011

Holy Saturday (and St. George's Day!)




Today is Holy Saturday and I'm thinking of my late mother-in-law. This wonderful woman was born on All Saints' Day and two years ago, she died very suddenly on Holy Saturday. She was a woman of such deep faith, it seems only fitting that she would enter and exit this life on such holy days.




As you can see from this photo, my mother-in-law was as beautiful on the outside as she was on the inside.


Rest in peace, Mom. We miss you.



I'm also thinking of my dad today, because April 23 is the feast of St. George, the Patron Saint of England. In case you're not familiar with him, St. George is usually depicted riding on a white horse while slaying a dragon with a long spear.



My father--"Bigfoot" to his grandchildren--is a proud descendant of English royalty (I kid you not) and a fanatic Anglophile. He likes to remind everyone that St. George performed much greater deeds than Ireland's St. Patrick, dragons being a whole lot tougher to slay than snakes; he laments that much is made of St. Patrick, while his favorite saint is under-appreciated.



In general, Bigfoot just likes teasing people of Irish descent, and that includes my mother, about the superiority of all things British. (Will the British ever stop oppressing the Irish?) But I do believe Bigfoot genuinely admires St. George. So pip-pip, cheerio, and Happy St. George's Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment