Monday, December 21, 2020

Joy to the World! They Can't Take Away Christmas!

I've been struggling to find my joy lately.  Hard to say out loud, with Christmas coming...but it’s true.

I have been struck--out of the blue, without warning--with feelings of hopelessness that wash over me, even though I keep reminding myself that I have been so incredibly, undeservedly blessed in this earthly life, and that if anyone should feel joyful and hopeful, it is I.  I blame Covid for this--both the actual illness (which my husband and I recently contracted--together, because that's how we roll!--and have recovered from) and the way it has changed every aspect of life in these once freedom-loving United States. I disappoint myself when I allow those nagging dark clouds to hang over my head, but of course, such is the human condition: we are flawed and weak and just can't do it on our own. We need divine help.  Thankfully, God knew this and sent us His only Son to redeem and save us.  And if we believe in Him, in His boundless mercy and love and the promise of salvation, we will never fall into total despair.

Like everyone, I wonder if we will we ever go back to normal living in this country, in this crazy, unrecognizable world.  (And don't even tell me about the "new normal"; if ever there was a term that grates against my nerves, that's the one.)  It's a sad state of affairs when a simple friendly greeting on the street--instead of the more common nervous sidestepping/eye-averting reaction that coming into contact with fellow earthlings tends to illicit in many these days--surprises you, makes you feel elated, and renews your hope in humankind.  I miss smiling at strangers with more than just my eyes. I'm sorry that I took it for granted when such a thing was so normal none of us could imagine it ever being otherwise. I can't help but wonder: what is it doing to babies and small children, seeing all those covered-up faces all the time and not being able to read expressions?  How will it affect their development?

Yikes, it's a tough world out there.

And boy...if ever we needed Christmas (and don't we always?),  this is the year.

My baby, the youngest of my five boys, arrived last night and will be joined by his wife when she finishes up a work project in a few days.  So for a couple of weeks, we will have all of our kids and grandkids close by (five sons, five daughters-in-law, 17 grandchildren).   That is something to celebrate.  A Christmas miracle, as far as I'm concerned.

And of course, we have the most important Baby of all coming, in just a few days.  


I'm sorry for the negative tone of this post.  But I was struggling with difficult emotions for several weeks, not wanting to admit them to anyone; then recently, I became aware that some of my loved ones had been battling in a similar fashion.  The struggle is real, as they say.  And being able to talk about it made me feel less alone--so I thought if anyone reading this could relate, it might help to know that there are lots of us out there in the same boat.  We've got to stick together and pray for each other, and with God, all things will be possible.

If I don't get back here beforehand, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas!  If we remember the true "reason for the season," how can we feel anything but merry, right?

11 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you've recovered and that your youngest is with you. I will pray that you find the joy, and you know what, even if you don't, God can handle it. Luckily, Christmas is a whole season so there's still loads of time. Perhaps this is your moment to be tired and cranky like an overly Pregnant Mary who's stuck on a donkey. I don't know, maybe that doesn't make much sense. But I appreciate your honesty and owning where you are right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this, my friend! I am starting to come out of the doldrums (now that my boy is finally back home, after more than a year!), and starting to feel that familiar Christmas joy taking over. Hopefully it's all uphill from here! But boy, 2020 has been a bear, hasn't it?

      I love the reference to Mary feeling a bit overwhelmed just before Christmas, too. Very sweet. I will ask Her to help me carry my pitifully light crosses a bit better.

      We got your lovely card--thank you! With any luck, I will get a good family picture while everyone is here and I'll get one out in time to ring in the New Year. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that you & Tim have recovered and that you’ll have the whole family close by this year. No need to apologize. Gratitude doesn’t automatically cancel worry, sadness or anxiety. I'll be by myself this year and expect to feel grateful, safe and lonely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How perfectly you say things: "gratitude doesn't automatically cancel worry, sadness or anxiety." So wise and so beautifully put. YOU, my friend, are a writer!

      I will be thinking of you this Christmas and praying that 2021 will look a lot different, so that you'll be able to celebrate the holidays next year with those two wonderful brothers of yours. God bless you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Laura! On the joyful side, I forgot I wanted to share this link to the Festival of Lessons & Carols from my church, St. Monica in Santa Monica. It's a lovely hour of music and scripture. I've rewatched several times.
      https://vimeo.com/491645779

      Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing--I look forward to watching it!!

      Delete
  3. So happy you and Tim are healthy and you have your boys (and girls) around for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post, Laura. You, me and all of us, too. Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family! God bless y'all at this blessed season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The struggle IS real, and no matter our blessings we can and do feel "down" sometimes. Talking it out (as in just saying the words out loud) often can help us feel better. I am glad you feel better!

    ReplyDelete