Thursday, February 19, 2015

My Husband Makes the Grade

I have been given a C+ in marketing.  That's not the worst grade a person can get.  I mean it's not an F!  But having grown up never satisfied receiving anything less than an A, this has been a hard pill to swallow.

Actually, the grade was given to me by one of the kindest, sweetest, holiest men on God's green earth, Deacon Tom Fox of Catholic Vitamins.  He's such a nice man that I'm sure he wished he could give me a better grade than that; but alas, among his many other fine qualities he is a man of integrity and cannot tell a lie.
Back in December, Deacon Tom had me as a guest on his podcast--to discuss my Catholic YA novel, Erin's Ring.  To say that I was a nervous wreck leading up to our phone chat is putting it mildly.  My grade before the recording session began?  A+.  I was doing A+ work in nervousness.  The experience didn't end up being as terrifying as I thought it would be, and wonder of wonders, I was able to carry on a somewhat normal conversation with Deacon Tom.  I may have talked a bit too fast, as is my wont (I'm sure I got an A+ in speed-talking), but I didn't do all that badly.

A few weeks after the podcast, Deacon Tom asked if I would be willing to record a short Catholic Vitamins promo.  All I had to say was this: "Hi, this is Laura Pearl, author of Erin's Ring, a Catholic story of faith and family found in a young teenage girl's search for the origin and meaning of an Irish Claddagh ring...and you are listening to Catholic Vitamins--a podcast with over five years' history nourishing Catholic Faith from A to Z..."

Easy peasy, right?  WRONG!

When I tried to speak the way I normally do, I went much too fast.  When I slowed it down a bit, it sounded like I was reading a script.  Very gently, with a chuckle, Deacon Tom told me after two takes that my efforts had earned me a C+ in marketing.  And then he asked if perhaps my husband (who's had lots of practice making PA announcements from the cockpits of airplanes) would be willing to do the promo for me.

So...my husband--my back-haver, hero, and favorite person on earth--did the promo, beginning, "Hi, this is Tim Pearl, husband of Laura Pearl..."  And he sounded like a total pro.  In one take, he had it nailed.  And Deacon Tom gave him a well-deserved A+.
Well, I shouldn't be all that surprised that this is the way it went down.  The marketing portion of the book business is so NOT my forte.  I can use all the help I can get in that department.  (Hiding in the corner, saying nothing, is more my forte.  Yeah, that's it; that's what I'm good at!)  Luckily, my awesome husband is always willing to speak out on my behalf.  And I have lots of kind and generous friends who are helping to promote my books.  For instance, here is a recent review of Erin's Ring, posted by my Aussie friend Erin of Seven Little Australians and Counting. 

Thanks, my hero.  And thanks, Erin.  You both earn top grades.  It takes a village to promote a work of Catholic fiction--and I'm so glad to have you in my village!

10 comments:

  1. Oh Laura! This is such an endearing story, I loved reading about it! And indeed I heard Tim's promo on "Catholic Vitamins" the other week and thought what a great job he had done. :) I totally understand. When I'm in front of a group of people, I also tend to talk fast, and not nearly loud enough. When I perform at dance events, I also dance faster, ha! I have to make a concerted effort to slow myself down so that I stay on the music. Solidarity, introverted sister! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to know that I'm not alone in this! I always tend to hurry through what I have to say--I'm always anxious to give the floor over to someone else. (Someone who I'm sure will be more interesting! :))

      That's so neat that you heard Tim--can you believe we haven't yet? We've been so busy with babysitting our little grandson and traveling hither and yon, and I haven't been keeping up with all the social media I usually enjoy. I've given up FB for Lent, though; so now I can focus on other Internet sites! And I'm determined to get caught up with Catholic Vitamins!

      Delete
  2. That is so awesome that he did that for you!! And I love this picture of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really does have a voice for radio. (I have a face for radio--ha ha!)

      I love this picture, too. It's from the summer of 2009. I think it's the last time I had any sort of tan. :)

      Delete
  3. Love how your husband is your number one fan:) Well done Tim!
    Happy to be a part of your village

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so sweet! I can understand the frustrations with recording... I have a different voice for radio than I do in real life (I've been told people don't like southern drawls on radio haha).

    The Starving Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. It's swell how he perfectly compliments you in that his strengths are your weaknesses. That is winning at marriage I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt once had me do some voice work for a commercial when he worked at Relevant Radio, and I'm pretty sure it was never used. But your Catholicmatch ad was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cathoiluc Match thing was a fluke! Dad was listening as I recorded it, and he was so surprised that I sounded so relaxed, he asked himself, "Who is she?!" :)

      Delete