Monday, April 2, 2012

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

One man's trash is another man's treasure--and vice versa--when it comes to art. We don't all like the same things, and I suppose that's good--because it would be an awfully boring world if we did.

I myself am not a great fan of modern art. I enjoy a wide variety of styles and artists (although I love Norman Rockwell's minutely detailed, almost photographic paintings, many of the blurry, dreamy works of the Impressionists also speak to me); but I have no use for the paint splotches Jackson Pollock threw at canvas, or for the strange Cubist works of Picasso.

Take the Picasso oil painting shown here, for instance. Titled "Woman's Head" (that poor, poor woman!), it is worth millions of dollars. It was given to Greece by the artist in 1949, in recognition of that country's fight against Nazi Germany. While I applaud Picasso's altruistic gift to the Greeks, I really, REALLY can't see any beauty when I look at this piece. And it is considered priceless by art connoisseurs. I feel as if a small child could render something that looks just like it, and the only people to whom it would be considered priceless would be his parents! Unfortunately, this Picasso was recently stolen from the National Art Gallery in Athens, along with some other valuable works, and that's a shame. But I'm sorry: I just don't like it. At all.

What's more my speed is this sweet Easter greeting card illustration from a bygone era called "Bunny Kiss," by an unknown artist. Unlike "Woman's Head," this little piece of vintage artwork is for all intents and purposes completely worthless, if you measure it by how much it would go for at auction. But I love, love, love it! It makes me happy just to look at it! This darling child has the most adorable face--which cannot be said for Picasso's subject, that's for sure. (And the bunny's is awfully cute, too.)

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I may not have the most discerning taste when it comes to art, but I don't care. It doesn't matter to me how much a painting is worth; I just want to feel happy, or moved, or inspired when I look at it.

How about you? What does it for you? The Picasso painting, or the no-name Easter illustration? (Right now, I'm feeling very verklempt, looking at that sweet little kid hugging that adorable bunny...so go ahead, discuss. Tawk amongst yourselves...)


And by the way, yes, it really is 3:30 a.m. I was sewing until just a little while ago. (I feel like I'm back in college, pulling an all-nighter before an exam!) I figured as long as I was up, I'd blog, too...because I may be sleeping in pretty late tomorrow. Hopefully, this post isn't full of typos!

No comments:

Post a Comment