Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Blog Handles for All My Peeps

I know that some bloggers use the real names of all their family members when they write about them.  But for some reason, when I joined the blogosphere in 2011 I thought it best to give all of my peeps aliases.

I was a little boring when it came to my husband (I simply call him my husband here at String of Pearls, or sometimes my guy) and my sons (#1 or my firstborn, #2, #3 or my middle son, #4, and #5 or my baby.  Pretty creative, huh?).

But in 2009, a new member was added to our original "Big 7" (shameless This Is Us reference, #sorrynotsorry), and I had to come up with a name for her.

When it came to the daughters-in-law, I was kind of forced to get more creative.  I mean, wouldn't it have been tiresome to call them the wife of son #1, son #2's wife, and so on?  I wanted to think up some fun aliases to use here at the blog.  I really put some effort into it, and here are the handles I gave to our sons' wives after they joined our clan.

Wife of son #1: Regina
Wife of son #2: Ginger
Wife of son #3: Preciosa
Wife of son #4: Braveheart

Here I am surrounded by these four sweet girls (first my daughters-in-law, now my precious daughters and friends) when they were all at our old home in NH for Christmas in 2014.

I have special reasons for choosing each of those names for these girls.  And now that my baby is about to get married and I'm going to have to call his gal something more inspired than my baby's wife, I wanted to come up with the perfect name for her, too.  And I think I found it.

I'm going to call her Babisiu.

As with all the names, this one has a special origin and meaning for us.  The word babisiu means "baby" in Polish.  This future daughter-in-law of ours, who is our baby's baby, has some Polish blood in her--so that's one reason I chose it; but also, in December of 2017, we flew to Poland and picked her up at the airport, and then the three of us traveled about five hours through dark and deserted rural back roads to meet up with our youngest son, who was on a deployment there at the time and had four days of leave just after Christmas. We had a short but wonderful Polish holiday together in a beautiful city called Bialystok--so always and forever, she shall be my Polish girl with a Polish blog alias.


There they are, our baby and his Babisiu, enjoying a delicious steak dinner with us on our last night in Bialystok.

Our grandkids have some interesting names here at the blog, too.  This is the line-up, oldest to youngest (so far!):

Twins: Bonnie Babe and Cutie Pie
Little Gal
G-Man
City Girl
Junior
Princesa
Jedi
Triplets: Pumpkin, Peanut, and Paquita
Rosita
Simba
Topper

I actually have a lot of fun deciding what to call everyone.  Lucky for me, because soon I'll have to come up with some more names for grandchildren who are currently in utero.  I hope I don't run out of ideas!  (But if I do, what a wonderful "problem" to have, don't you think?)

7 comments:

  1. How special! Do the girls enjoy the reason for their "names"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so! I think I was the least creative with the first one, because I was just starting out and it had mostly to do with the first letter--although Regina does mean queen, and since she is the first daughter-in-law to join the family, I think she should have the highest rank... so actually it's apropos. I think the girls do enjoy the names. I've really been trying to figure out how to make them have special meaning. They are all different, but get along beautifully--and we love them equally.

      Delete
  2. Such creative names! But how do you ever keep it all straight!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, they were all so specifically chosen for each person that I don't have any trouble remembering who's who. :)

      Delete
    2. Actually, I sometimes mix up Preciosa and Princesa momentarily--but I do that with our boys' names all the time, too!

      Delete