Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Football with Family


Testing, testing...1,2,3...
Is this thing on?  Hello?

This is my blog, right?  I mean, I used to know how it all worked, but I've gotten just a lee-tle bit rusty as of late...

So I thought I'd check back in and let you know that yes, I am still blogging.  I've got to stop using the fact that I live most of my life on the road as an excuse to neglect my writing.  Writing is so much fun.  It's sort of my favorite.

Anyway, I think I'll use some cell phone pictures to show you what I've been up to lately.  Here's a hint: back-to-back Notre Dame football games were involved.

The first one was out in South Bend on Sept. 5, where our beloved Irish beat Texas handily.  ("We're awesome," we thought.  "Maybe this is our year!")  And better yet, along with a whole slew of Pearls of all ages, I got to see my "bookend boys": our oldest son was there, along with his wife and four young daughters, for the epic Pearl tailgater before the game, but they headed back to their home in MI afterward since it was going to be a late one; and our baby was there, too--he got four days of leave and flew in from OK (it was the first time we'd seen him since he left home about two weeks after his ND graduation).

Here are some pictures from the ND v. Texas weekend.
The twins wore their Notre Dame cheerleading outfits.  (Wonder where they got those?)
Pearl brothers.
He'll always be my baby!
The second game was this past weekend, on Sept. 12 down at UVA in Charlottesville.  We won again, but just by the skin of our teeth.  ("Hmm...we made Texas look bad last week," we thought. "But maybe they just are, in fact, bad.")  We were so outplayed by the Cavaliers for most of the game, we probably shouldn't have won--but who am I to quibble?  Notre Dame's starting quarterback Malik Zaire broke his ankle and is now out for the season, sadly; and the back-up QB, DeShone Kiser, had a rough start--but then the kid pulled a long touchdown pass out of his hat, at almost the last second, to win the game for the Irish.  It was ugly, but it was a W.

The game was lots of fun, and so was the pre-game tailgater; and several of my husband's siblings made it to that one, too.  But the best thing of all was getting to spend time with our middle three boys, their wives, and our grandson G-Man.

I love it when in the span of two consecutive weekends, we get to see all five of our offspring and their significant others.  That, sports fans, is a win-win in my book!

Now here are some pictures from the ND v. UVA weekend.

Pearl brothers (the next generation).
My guys are all wearing matching ND sneakers (and you can get your own pair,
with your favorite NCAA team, at Row One).
With 3 of my 4 sweet daughters-in-law.

Win or lose, we're fans for life.  Go Irish!

5 comments:

  1. May I say for the record that I thought posting this so late at night (I've got a slight case of insomnia here) would mean that no one would see it for hours and hours. Therefore, I figured, my careless mistakes would go uncaught. So it went out unfinished, and then I added some pictures and captions that I forgot to include when I first posted it...and to my shock, it's already gotten 10 "hits"! Who is up reading blogs in the middle of the night? (The same kind of people who are writing blogs in the middle of the night, I guess!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and the pictures. it is always a joy to have a new blog post from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be seeing you soon. I'll be in touch!

      Delete
  3. Awe, I love that you got to see everyone within the past few weeks. What does it say about my knowledge of football and Notre Dame that when I saw the headline about the quarterback's ankle I thought of you? What a fun time you must have had with your people. When does Pearl grandbaby #6 babywatch begin? I bet everyone is excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madeline, it really touches me that you know enough about our family that you thought of us when you heard about the ND quarterback's injury!

      Pearl grandbaby #6 (whose sex will be revealed upon birth) is due in early November. This child is coming just in time to be a first anniversary present for his mom and dad. :)

      Delete