Wednesday, August 14, 2013

What I'm Reading Wednesday: Miriam and Therese

I'm joining Jessica and my fellow 'worms over at Housewifespice (to talk about one of my favorite subjects--BOOKS!), and you know what this link-up is called:
I think one of my favorite things about this weekly Wednesday link-up (besides all the book talk!) is the meme above.  So vintage!  It evokes a pre-smart phone, pre-Kindle, pre-2,000 channels on TV era that I get nostalgic about. I'm a grammy who's old enough to remember that simpler world really, really well.  A world where everything was black and white,  just like old movies--which is seriously how our sons thought the world used to look when their ancient parents were kids, back when they were cute little boys in short pants...or Mickey Mouse undies and no pants, because that's how they liked to roll when they were hanging around the house. You must cut them a break though, because it was sweaty hot all the time where we lived back then--Florida's hot, you know?

Have I gotten far enough off-track here?  Time to focus: back to books now!

I have so many books in my "want to read" pile, I don't know how I'm ever going to get through them all.  I just finished Cheryl Dickow's wonderful Catholic novel Miriam, Repentance and Redemption in Rome (and I'm working on getting reviews of Miriam posted on Amazon and CatholicFiction.net).  While I was reading that, I also started working my way through a new book about St. Therese of Lisieux that I picked up at the Catholic Writers Guild/Catholic Marketing Network conference last week at the Sophia Institute Press booth: The Truth about Therese, An Unflinching Look at Lisieux, the Little Flower, and the Little Way, by Henri Gheon.  It's terrific so far.

If you want to see the other titles that have me salivating right now, look at all these books stacked up on the table in my bedroom!
I started Michael D. O'Brien's Father Elijah, An Apocolypse but then switched to Dickow's book.  So my first order of business is to finish O'Brien's novel, which came highly recommended to me.  The other titles are: Frozen Footprints, by Therese Heckenkamp; Murder in the Vatican (part of the Church Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes series) by Ann Margaret Lewis; Padre Pio, The Wonder Worker, by the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate; A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms, by Lisa Hendey; Olivia and the Little Way and Olivia's Gift, by Nancy Carabio Belanger; Rachel's Contrition, by Michelle Buckman; and Under the Mantle, Marian Thoughts from a 21st Century Priest, by Fr. Donald H.Calloway, MIC.

Phew! Wish me luck!  (And I think I'll have plenty of material for future "What We're Reading Wednesday" posts!)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, fantastic collection!

    Know so many wonderful things about Fr. Calloway, although I haven't read his book. Michael O'Brien is probably my favorite living author, enormous fan is an understatement. I will say, however, that my favorite work by him is the prequel to Father Elijah, Sophia House. Most likely one of my favorite books of all time. So if you enjoy Father Elijah, I can't recommend that enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely check out Sophia House when I'm finished with Fr. Elijah (or perhaps I should read it first?).

      Fr. Calloway is AWESOME! He spoke at a breakfast at the CWG/CMN conference I attended recently (where he also gave away signed copies of his book), and he was unbelievably inspiring (and funny, too!)--what a holy young man! He wrote an earlier book about his conversion from bad boy to priest, and I really need to get my hands on a copy of that book as well.

      Delete