Sunday, March 10, 2013

What I Wore Sunday, Volume 4

It's that time again--time to join all the gals over at Fine Linen and Purple for another Sunday fashion extravaganza!  I am really starting to look forward to these link-ups!  And I normally shrink and make odd faces when I know a camera is pointed at me, but my husband has signed on as my personal fashion photographer, and I've been trying my best to just relax and smile.  (I've also learned a neat little trick from my #3 son's girlfriend that helps to minimize the double chin effect that has plagued me my whole life in pictures: you stick your chin OUT, and then DOWN.  It feels awkward, but it seems to work.  Out and down, that's my mantra these days!)

So anyway, here's what I wore Sunday Saturday, for the 4:00 anticipated Mass I attended with my husband.  (We knew we wouldn't be able to go to church today, because we're getting in the car as early as we possibly can to start a 12-hour trip to VA to visit with sons #3 and #4, who live there, and son #5, who flew down yesterday for his week-long spring break from Notre Dame.)
Breakdown of the outfit:
Paisley cardigan: Talbot's (marked down drastically--otherwise way, way too expensive)
Denim skirt: consignment shop
Off-white opaque tights: Wal-Mart (I suspect this is considered a fashion no-no, unless you're a nurse...and it's 1950.)
Navy leather flats: Dexter, from a shoe outlet
Freshwater pearl necklace and earrings: gifts from my husband
Detail on the sweet cardigan: beading!
I thought I'd also include a picture of the coat I wore over my outfit, as well as my lace chapel veil, or mantilla.  (The last time I featured a veil in my WIWS post, I was surprised and delighted to learn that it had inspired a couple of women who were considering adopting the practice.)
Chocolate brown veil: made by yours truly, with lace and trim from JoAnn's (I like brown because it sort of blends in with my hair; soon, I'll need a silver-colored one!)
Blue trench coat: Kenneth Cole, from Sam's Wholesale Club (just under $10, I kid you not!)

After Mass, we ran into a dear old friend, the octogenarian nun who used to be the principal of the Catholic K-8 grade school that our five boys attended (until we decided to homeschool our youngest son from grades 3 to 8).  We hadn't seen her in awhile, and she wanted to know how all the boys were doing.  And at one point I said, "The only hard thing is that most of them live pretty far away," and suddenly I was choked up and on the verge of serious tears.

What that incident made me realize is that God gives each of us crosses, but they're all different--and He only gives us what he knows we can handle.  I've often wondered why my life has been so incredibly blessed--why I haven't been asked to bear the really tough burdens that I see others carrying.  Neither my husband nor I have ever been afflicted with cancer (unless you count a few basal cell carcinomas, which a friend of mine said are basically considered no more than skin "rust"), or with any other serious illnesses.  Our children are all healthy, intelligent, gainfully employed, church-going, loving, and thriving. Our oldest son and his wife just welcomed their third precious daughter into the world. Why, I wonder, do others suffer so, when God seems to have given me a pass in the suffering department?

But when I felt myself losing it in front of Sister yesterday after Mass, it hit me: I miss having all of my children about me, and seeing them every day; and that, for now anyway, is my cross.  It's a meager cross, compared to the weight borne by so many other people; but it's mine, and if I own it as God's will for me and bear it with grace and courage, then...well, it can only help me get where I want to go.

But in the meantime, how can I be anything but happy?  I just returned from a two-week visit with my oldest son and his family.  By tonight, I will be with sons #3, #4, and #5.  And son #2, thankfully, lives just an hour away--and when I get back from VA, I'm going to go see him and give him the biggest bear hug of all time!

God is good, and I absolutely believe that He knows what's best for each of us.  Even when we think we know better.

I must go now, the road beckons--but I hope you have an absolutely glorious Sunday!  And don't forget to check out all the faith-filled fashionistas over at Fine Linen and Purple.  ;)

26 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time with your boys{{}} Our oldest two now live 9 hrs away:( Not likely to return home once they complete uni:( and before I know it they will all be gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's tough. My husband and I just hope to stay healthy enough to keep traveling!

      Delete
  2. Your coat is beautiful! What a steal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colleen. My husband and I were at Sam's shopping for salsa and meats and such when I spied these trench coats. He told me at that price, I needed to get two. Who was I to argue? So I have the same coat in red!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you made your veil--it's beautiful! And I absolutely love that cardigan, Laura! I am a huge Lilly Pulitzer girl and I always love finding similar styles for much cheaper! You look lovely =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. I'm a huge fan of cardigans, and I usually go with solid colors. But I fell in love with this one.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love your coat. It is such a beautiful color, what a find! And you have such skills to make your own veil! Impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katrina. I just realized that I could save so much if I made my own veils, so I used one I'd bought as a pattern.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. I do love this print--as my mother-in-law used to say, "It gives me a lift."

      Delete
  6. Beautiful cardi! Nicely done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the trip goes well! We're having beautiful weather in VA today, maybe you'll get to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got to VA last night, and the weather's great! A lot warmer right now that where we're from!

      Delete
  8. And to think I wanted to complain in my post about being two hours from my parents. Bearing our cross isn't so much about the size of the burden but the faith you place in God to help you accept your burdens.

    Your sweater is beautiful, and I'm amazed that you make your own veils! Lace is tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon. I could use prayers, though; I'm not bearing this cross as well as I should be. Sometimes I feel a bit lost. When being a mother has been your whole life, it's hard not having kids around to dote on. I would get a puppy...but then I'd have to worry about leaving it every time I wanted to travel to see my family!

      Delete
  9. I love how your pearls fit so nicely with your cardigan :-) And I do wear white/ivory tights now and then; I just try to avoid pairing them with Mary-Janes... gives me too much of the school-girl vibe!

    I've often wondered the same thing (even though we're still quite young). My hubby and I feel like we've been carried pretty safely through life thus far. Our job's just to give thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, and boy do I give thanks! God has been very good. And I know He must want a lot from me, if to whom much is given, much is expected.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Oooo, what a fabulous coat!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I love coats, especially trench coats. Especially trench coats ON SALE. :)

      Delete
  11. Enjoy your time with your sons. How wonderful that you get to visit. Also I absolutely LOVE your sweater. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I need to wear this sweater more. Everyone seems to like it! It's a lot more pattern than I usually wear, but I thought it looked fun.

      Delete
  12. Your coat is gorgeous and I love the veil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen. I've decided I like my brown veil best because it blends in with my hair. (Although I've been wearing one to Mass for about four years and nowadays I mostly forget I even have it on, I still struggle at times with feeling like I "stand out.")

      Delete