Friday, August 24, 2012

"Crazy Creatures Week," Day Five

Well, to end "Crazy Creatures Week," I saved the best drawing for last (it's the best of the bunch in my opinion, anyway).  Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the MINOTAUR!  Feast your eyes on this bad boy, because it's a keeper.
This is one of a series of minotaur drawings that my son did back in high school, and they are outstanding.  (I have almost enough of them, each drawn striking a different pose, to do a "Minotaur Week"!)  My other four boys are great fans of this son's minotaurs.  They are super-jacked and so incredibly well-drawn.

Just as my son looked to ancient Greek and Roman mythology for the inspiration to create his own rendition of Cerberus (featured on Wednesday of this "Crazy Creatures Week"), he found his inspiration for this vicious and powerful monster, who was--in the words of the Roman poet Ovid, "part man and part bull"--in Greek mythology.

The minotaur was said to be the offspring of a bull and Queen Pasiphae, wife of King Minos of Crete, which explains the fact that he was a creature with the head and tail of a bull and the body of a man.  The minotaur lived in the center of a huge labyrinth, or maze, on the island of Crete.  And apparently, King Minos loved this monster--which I don't quite understand, given the fact that he was the product of the queen's disturbing act of infidelity.  Maybe the king was fond of the minotaur because he was so effective at guarding the labyrinth on Crete (that is, until he was slain by the Greek hero Theseus).

Just like all of my son's other crazy creatures, this minotaur obviously spent lots of time at the gym.  And I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had the P90X DVD collection back at the labyrinth as well.

Okay, that's it; "Crazy Creatures Week" comes to an end today.  I hope you've enjoyed this peek at the artistic genius of my #4 son.  It's too bad that it's so hard to make a living as an artist, because I think a talent like his ought to be shared with a wide audience!

No comments:

Post a Comment