Friday, March 11, 2011

A Parent's Parting Words to an Adult Child Leaving the Nest

Years ago, before my first son left for college, I found this in one of the Catholic publications we receive. I thought it perfectly captured what I wanted to tell him as he set out into the world on his own for the first time, so I ended up making a tiny laminated copy of it, and I asked him to carry it in his wallet. My fifth son--my baby!-- is three months away from his high school graduation. He will be leaving us soon, and I can't imagine how we're going to stand having him seventeen hours away from home. We've always been there to guide and protect him--is he ready to be on his own? I don't care how many times you go through the process of leaving a child off at college, it doesn't get any easier. But I think it will make me feel better if I give my boy a copy of this to carry around with him.

If you have a child who's getting ready to leave the nest, you might want him to have a copy of it, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Parent's Parting Words to an
Adult Child Leaving the Nest

Always remember, I love you. It's real, unchanging, and unconditional!

I believe in you! You are a child of God and He has a purpose and a mission that only you can fulfill. He promises to give you the grace and strength necessary to meet whatever challenges you face in life. All you need to do is ask.

I expect great things from you. While others may lower their standards or reduce their expectations, not me! I expect your best because I know that you can do your best and be the best! Never settle for mediocrity--you'll always be disappointed.

Always remember: God loves you. Even when you fall or fail, as we all do, God loves you and will forgive you and heal the hurt. Just ask Him.

I'm praying for you. Your leaving is surrounded by prayer, and we will continue to call upon your patron saint and guardian angel to watch over and protect you in all that you do.

Keep your eyes on the prize. Your real goal is not a perfect test score, a college diploma, a successful career, or a carefree life, but Heaven. Stay clear of anything or anyone that attempts to pry you away from or rob you of that prize--everlasting life with Jesus! Remember: "Eye has not seen, ear has not heard, nor has it so much as dawned on man what God has prepared for those who love him." (1 Cor. 2:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment