Thursday, May 26, 2016

Where is Home?

Sometimes I wonder if my little String of Pearls, filled with the musings of a grandmother in her late 50's and read by only a handful of folks, has a raison d'etre on the Internet.  "Do I even belong here?" I often ask myself. "Has this blog run its course, become irrelevant?"  I've never really been a full-fledged member of the Catholic blogging club, which is mostly populated with young mothers whom I admire so much. The blogosphere is chock-full of way more interesting and entertaining, way younger and hipper (and wow, way holier) gals than I, most of whom seem to be in the same season of their lives, the season of child-bearing and child-rearing.

My own child-bearing era has become a glorious but hazy memory. It's been years since I last bought a home pregnancy test kit (something they didn't even have when I had my first babies) and excitedly awaited the results--because every other time I'd been so late, another son had been on the way; it's been years since I cried when the tests were negative, because I was embarrassed and disappointed and forced to come to grips with the sad reality that I would never carry another child in my womb.

I wonder if any woman is ever ready to hear that as far as that part of her life is concerned, she is "done."  Even if she thinks her family is "complete," it's a tough thing to accept.

I'm in a new season now, approaching what they call the "golden years."  And they are golden, very much so, in their way.  My husband and I consider our life these days to be one long date, where we get to spend all of our free time together, focusing on each other, now that we're not running here and there to drop kids off and pick them up, now that we don't have a houseful of boys whose demands need to be met.

But my top "love languages" (which I only learned about after my sons got married and my daughters-in-law asked me what mine were) are quality time together and acts of service.  I live for spending time with my family, my favorite people on earth.  And I love to do things for them.  But when you are not physically near your loved ones, it's kind of tough to speak these languages as often as you'd like.  The nest we've made here in NH over the course of more than a quarter of a century, the home where we raised our sons, is now officially empty.  Our four oldest boys have started families of their own and live miles from home, and not long after our baby graduated from college last May, his new career took him even farther away from us than any of his brothers.

So our beautiful Colonial house in NH, a nest that we spent years feathering, rarely has anyone in it these days--and that includes my husband and myself.  Between our time spent in NY fixing up Oyster Haven (our VRBO house on Lake Champlain) and our travels to visit with our kids and grandkids, we never seem to be there for more than a few days at a time anymore. 
Our happy house, filled with love and memories.
My husband and I are coming to a bit of a crossroad in our lives, one that I should have seen coming many years ago but somehow didn't.  We are beginning to ask ourselves where we belong in the world, to ask ourselves, "Where is 'home'?"  Is it here in NH, in the house we bought at Christmastime in 1989 and where we raised our five boys?  Or is it at the idyllic house on the lake that we bought just last year, in the area where we met and our story began?
Oyster Haven...which looks suspiciously similar to our NH home!
(Not that we have a "type" or anything!)
Will this be the happy house that our grandchildren remember?
A few days ago when I drove from NH to our Oyster Haven house (to meet with the cleaning staff who will take care of the turnover between renters), I had plenty of time to think about things.  I was in the car for about four-and-a-half hours, and I was driving solo (since my husband was off working a trip); so as I said...gobs of time to think.  A lot of you probably sing at the top of your lungs in the car (I know I do--badly!); but do you also cry in the car?  I find that from time to time, when I'm all by myself on the open road, a good old-fashioned therapeutic cry is in order.  I'm the luckiest person in the world, with a life filled with more blessings than any flawed human being such as myself could possibly deserve.  So what's there to cry about, you ask?

I guess it's just that sometimes, I feel like I have no home.  Or too many homes.  It's confusing, and sometimes, it makes me feel a bit verklempt.  I know I'm not supposed to get emotionally attached to the lake house, because we're going to have to rent it out to afford it, and that means we're going to have to let other people stay there.  But every time my husband and I spend a few days at Oyster Haven getting work done, it begins to feel like home.  Then we drive back to NH, and I feel I'm home again.  My loyalties have become divided, and that's tough for me.  It's hard to know what's right for us, at this point in our lives.

This song I was listening to in the car, by an Irish band called The Script, didn't help either, as far as the crying went.
You see, I've always been a nester, and I've always been able to make even our most humble abodes feel like home.  When we first got married and my husband was in Navy flight training, we lived in an apartment in Corpus Christi, TX for a short spell; then in an apartment in Beeville, TX for an even shorter spell, until we got into base housing and moved into a duplex where we stayed for a few years, and where our firstborn lived the first two months of his life; then in a brand new ranch--the first house we ever bought--in Jacksonville, FL, where sons #2, #3, and #4 joined the family; then in a rented ranch house in a Chicago suburb, when my husband began his airline career; then in a rental home--a small Cape Cod--in NH, where we spent a year.  And finally, we ended up in our "forever home," our beloved Colonial, only the second house we've ever owned since we became man and wife in 1980.  Over the years we lived here, I really didn't look ahead to the day when the boys would all be grown and gone, when they might not live a stone's throw from us.  So I never really thought about the possibility that we wouldn't always be here.

Sometimes our NH home, so empty and quiet now, makes me feel sad, a feeling that confuses me.  Because it's always been a happy house.  It's the only home our youngest son has ever known, and he wrote a deeply moving "fictional" piece about it for a 9th grade English project (which I blogged about in 2011, if you'd like to read the full post).   Here is an excerpt from that project, about a family he called the O'Callaghans but who were really the Pearls:

...To common passers-by, it is just an ordinary house at the end of some street. And yes, like any home, it is where I sleep, it is where I eat, and it is where I live. But to me, it is so much more than just an inn or a breakfast nook.

It is a familiar face that says, "Hello there! How was your trip?" after I've traveled long distances; a life-long friend that is always there when I don't know where else to go. It is my playground, my home field advantage for all my backyard football games; where our family-famous Wiffle Ball homerun derbies are held. It is my place of study; where I have been schooled for the past five years and still get schooled. It is where I learned about life, about the One who made me, and the One who sacrificed Himself for us.

This is where the seven O'Callaghans live. And although there are nicer houses on our street, our house is a hidden gem, stowed away from the rest of the world. It is everything I want out of a house. Everything I need out of a home.

That kid...

Our youngest son's senior year of college, we had to leave NH in early January to go down to VA to begin our four-and-a-half-month stint as nannies to our sweet little grandson G-Man.  Knowing how much of a homebody our baby had always been, I asked him if it was okay for him to cut his time in NH--his last Christmas break time--short and join us at his older brother's house until he had to go back to Notre Dame for his final semester.  I was all apologetic, but he looked at me and assured me it was no problem.  He said, "Mom, wherever you guys are, that's home."

I'll say it again: that kid... 

When my husband got back from his trip, I was filling him in about my tear-filled drive to NY, listening to The Script and wondering if that song had some kind of hidden meaning that God wanted me to hear.  I talked about how much I loved our NH house, but wondered if we're meant to sell it and settle in NY, to fulfill a lifelong dream of living on the lake.  I asked him how we were supposed to know where we belonged.  His answer was, "I'm always happy when I'm with you.  Whether it's here, or in NY, or at one of our kids' houses.  As long as we're together, I'm happy."  Hmmm....it's obvious where our baby gets his heart from. 

So in spite of how happy we've been at our home in NH,  I'm also beginning to realize that if we decide it doesn't make sense for us anymore, that's okay.  The bottom line is that wherever we are--just the two of us together, or with our boys and our daughters-in-law and our grandchildren--that place is home.  It could be MI or VA, or even Germany, but wherever we are together, that's our home.
At home in Germany recently, with our youngest son.
Home is not walls and a roof; home is the people you love.  Lots of things will change in the course of your life, but not that.  Maybe that's the little bit 'o wisdom this old grammy blogger has to offer.  So maybe I'll stick around a while here after all, if for no other reason than to assure all the young moms out there who might stop by this blog that there will still be life after your babies have flown from the nest.  And it will be golden.

26 comments:

  1. My parents sold the family home in 2014 when I was expecting our first child. They were in their 80s and it was time to move into a place on one level with an attached garage. I had grand plans to visit one last time with my newborn and make memories/take photos but the house sold fast and after a traumatic delivery, I was unable to travel home with my newborn before it closed. I was devastated that my son was never in the house and I didn't get to say goodbye. I eventually made it home and stayed with Mom and Dad in the new place and realized it was a house and home was where they were. Losing the house didn't mean losing the memories and now we are creating new ones in the new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, and for leaving this thoughtful comment! I needed to hear it! Even though our youngest assures us that he will be okay if we sell the only home he's ever had, whenever I read what he wrote about it in high school, I get a lump in my throat. When we moved here, our oldest (now 32) was half-way through first grade, and our youngest wasn't even born yet. There's so much history here!

      But with the boys all gone now, it just feels different. And the house in NY is in the town where my husband and I grew up. We met and started dating in high school. We both have extended family members still in that area. It's starting to seem like it makes more sense for us, going forward. Plus, the master is on the first floor--and like your parents, we can see how living on one floor is going to be better for us in the coming years.

      I'm so sentimental about this NH house...but I really do feel as if we could make beautiful family memories anywhere. Thank you for reinforcing that feeling for me!

      Delete
  2. You are speaking right to my heart today. I may be in a totally different season of life, but heavy thinking and a good cry while driving? Yes. A weird concept of home? Yes. Being the happiest around my family? Yes. I will pray for you as you sort out what to do with so many homes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess no matter what season we're in, mothers have so much in common. I'm glad this post spoke to your heart. Sometimes, I avoid blogging when I'm feeling sad about something, but I just felt the need to bleed onto the page (make that the screen!) yesterday.

      Thanks for the prayers. I pray for you, too!

      Delete
  3. Awesome post! It made me cry a little (I blame it on the pregnancy hormones). I've been so homesick lately and just wanting to go home (my parents). But then, I am also home here (husband). Sometimes I feel like you, it's difficult to know where I belong! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the weirdest feeling, not being sure. It's never really happened to me before. Because even when my husband and I were living in our first little apartment, with rented furniture, I felt like I was home because I was with him.

      But the place where the seven of us--the two of us along with our five boys--spent our busiest, happiest years as a family were in our NH house. It's hard to let it go. On the other hand, the boys are gone now and we have no extended family in NH; but both my husband and I have family up near our Oyster Haven house. I mean, that's where he was born and where I moved when I was ten. That's where we went to high school together.

      I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually...but right now, my feelings about all of this are so conflicted.

      Delete
  4. Laura, I just love your posts. I so admire the relationship you have with your husband and grown children, and I hope that things turn out the same way for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tiffany. We are beyond lucky with our boys and the wives they've chosen. When they were younger, we always prayed for their future wives--and our prayers have truly been answered, and then some. It's like we have nine kids now instead of five. We love our girls.

      Delete
  5. So glad you're going to continue blogging, miss your writing when you don't. I do feel you fill a niche that we need to hear from. We need to hear from mothers older and wiser, we need to hear from women at that next stage in live. Frankly there was a time I worried about being an empty nester but YOU my dear friend have encouraged me to believe it will be a delightful time with my husband. You have also encouraged me to know that you can be good friends with your daughters-in-law/love and helped me to look forward to that transition too. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Erin, you are so sweet. I'm glad that this blog has encouraged you to look forward to the next stage rather than to dread it.

      It's bittersweet, watching your babies grow up, isn't it? But I'm trying so hard to focus on the sweet part.

      Delete
  6. Oh, thank you for this. It is wonderfully written. I live in NH and am awed by mom bloggers, too. Also, I am in that stage of most likely no more children and it is kind of hard. Honestly, I was looking to balance out my "in the trenches of young child-rearing" blogs with some from an "older" (probably not the right word) perspective as I ease/struggle into that stage myself. I appreciated your words today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. It's great to hear from another NH mom! You've made me feel encouraged to keep at it--the blogging, that is. If this blog can help any other mom ease into the next phase of life with peace and hope, that's reason enough to keep writing.

      Delete
  7. Best wishes wherever life takes you! I'm happy to have you as a blogging and writing friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patrice! I'm happy to have you as my blogging and writing friend, too! The friendships that have blossomed since I started my [very belated] writing career are blessings that I never expected, and therefore all the sweeter.

      Delete
  8. I just love to to read your blog, you make me smile and cry! I know how hard it must be to think about leaving your beautiful home, but I for one am excited to think that you might live just a short drive from me! Keep writing.....I love to read ALL of your posts, and think seriously about living at Oyster Haven.....it would be so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would definitely be one of the big pluses of living there. :)

      Delete
  9. Even though I am Catholic and I blog, I'm not your typical Catholic blogger. I only have two kids, I don't homeschool, I don't homestead, and I don't go to confession as much as I should so I know where you are coming from about not quite fitting in. So, I like to think of myself as a blogger who is Catholic as opposed to a Catholic blogger! I enjoy reading your posts because I am headed in that direction. My kids are 12 and 13 and I can already see the writing on the wall. And a lot of times when I am alone, I wonder what we are going to do when they leave, where will we go, what will home look like.....Keep praying and God will guide you in the way the you should go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. You're right--I need to keep praying that God will make it clear to us, and then trust that all will be well.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful reflection. Thank you for sharing. It's given me much to think about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leisa, I'm sorry I never replied to this--it's so sweet. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  11. What Beth said above about not fitting in, that is me. Although I'm Catholic, my childhood and my daughter's childhood is a universe apart from the Catholic mommy bloggers lives that I read. I started out reading them to glean helpful advice and suggestions as my daughter is raising 4 young children. She doesn't have time to read many blogs but I can almost always find a similar situation with a young mommy blogger that makes her feel better to know she's not alone.

    I found you, Laura, through one of them and as I'm coming off my self-imposed "blog reading sabbatical" I thought this post of yours was going to say you were signing off!! I am so glad you'll still be here. Thank you for this deeply moving post and sharing your feelings with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aileen, it means a lot to me that you are moved by anything I say here, or that it might help another mom/grandma in the same stage of life I'm in. I always love to hear from you!

      Delete
  12. Laura, I learned when my parents sold "the farmhouse" that nothing will take away my memories. Living 4-5 hours away, I thought I would do the things with my kids that I had done as a child at my parents house when we visited, but I didn't. We just spent our times "visiting" which was the best way for them to get close to my parents. The house, and the great memories I have of growing up, weren't meant to be my kids memories. They're mine. Your boys will always have their memories of your NH home. The pictures you post of your time travelling to them shows that your grown children, and young grandchildren, are still getting the BEST of you and Tim. Keep blogging, just recognize there may be a different audience... There are many of us facing life as you are now....away from where we grew up, with our own children having moved away also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you wrote this, Cathy. Because deep down I know that it's not the house itself that matters, but the people you love and the memories you have with them; so I know I need to let go of the idea that our NH house is that important to who we are as a family. We spend a lot of time with our kids and grandkids, traveling to be with them where they are; and what we like to do when we're with them is just VISIT, like you said. We don't care if there are special outings or activities planned; we just like to spend time with them. We are making new memories as a family, and the house in NY is such a beautiful location to make some more. So I think if we end up there, it will be more than okay.

      It's a unique time of life, isn't it? Somewhat bittersweet, but still so filled with joy and possibilities.

      Delete
  13. Every day is a gift, best we enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every day is a gift, best we enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete