Wait...what happened? I think I fainted or something. Deep breaths. Okay, moving on then.
In the above picture, taken in the fall of 1984, my handsome husband was getting ready to leave for a four-month cruise aboard an aircraft carrier. We had a one-year-old son and I was about five months pregnant with son #2, and we would be separated until just a few days before our second son made his grand entrance into the world.
I am very nostalgic about anything having to do with my early days as a mom to my boys. I still have bins of flannel receiving blankets and terrycloth sleepers in my attic, along with stained shirts and little trousers with elastic that is completely shot. Why I never gave all those things away when they still had some life in them, I'll never know. I think I am finally ready to cull through it all and throw out/give away most of it. Not that there's that much great stuff, mind you. Looking over all the baby clothes I saved makes me realize just how little I did spend on outfitting my little lads. They were not nearly as nattily dressed as they should have been, I suppose. And most of their infant jammies and blankets were green or yellow. Back in the day, no one ever knew the sex of their child until he or she was born, so when the gals gave a shower, they tended to give gender-neutral items. I suppose if I'd had girls, I would have wanted to get some pink and purple into their wardrobes. But I thought the boys looked plenty adorable in green or yellow.
Two of the items I'm using today in this project are actually things I made for my firstborn, and in which we had his photo taken: a blue checked cotton romper (that snapped at the crotch--I was so proud of putting in those snaps!); and a t-shirt made from material that said, "I love Daddy."
For one of my squares, I wanted to make sure that you could read the "I love Daddy" from the shirt I made for son #1, so I cut a shape long enough to fit those words. (That's the great thing about this project; pretty much anything goes. You can cut the ball any way you see fit.)
I said in Monday's post that glue was not necessary--but that was a little white lie. (Mea culpa!) I like to embellish my quilted ornaments with faux pearls (but of course!). To do this, I put a dab of hot glue in the corners where the "seams" meet, and then I stick pearl-headed straight pins into them. You could pin on any sort of bead or button to dress these balls up, or you could glue on sequins for a little sparkle. There's really no end to the ways you could finish them off.
Busted! Yes, I'm in my nightgown doing this craft...long past the time
when I should be dressed.
Now you have all weekend to go and make some ornaments for yourself or someone on your Christmas shopping list. No two will ever come out the same--which makes them truly one-of-a-kind heirlooms. (As for me, I'll be working on another one, I believe...made out of scraps of satin from the dresses I made for my twin granddaughters when they were flower girls three different times in a span of 11 months, for three of their uncles!)
Happy crafting, readers!