Monday, March 30, 2015

Santa v. the Easter Bunny?

If you come to this here blog often, you know that my husband and I have been living with our middle son and his wife, and their precious, chubby-cheeked offspring G-Man, almost exclusively since early January.  We've been able to get back north to our snowbound home in NH a couple of times, but it wasn't until our trip there earlier this month that we finally got around to getting all of the Christmas decorations taken down and put away until next year...

...with the exception of the tree.  Which is still standing, and still has lights on it.

But now it's an Easter tree.  That's right: move over Santa Baby, there's a new sheriff in town and his name is the Easter Bunny.
Actually, there are still a few Santas hanging about the house, too; they're having trouble remembering that it's not all about them anymore.

For instance, here's one of my favorites, a new addition to my Santa collection, a treasure found at our downtown Hallmark store just before last Christmas.  He's supposed to represent England, hence the English transferware design on his porcelain robe.  He looks really good in my dining room, hanging out with my transferware cups and saucers.
But that stubbornly entrenched English Santa didn't stop the old Easter Bunny from muscling his way into the room and claiming some tabletop space of his own.  No, he did not.
The Easter Bunny is trying to take over the kitchen.
And the family room, too.
But Santa is holding his ground on a shelf in our upstairs guest room, as you can see.
Yes, Easter is almost here.  But neither Santa nor the Easter Bunny is the real "reason for the season," of course.  It's that crucified Savior, depicted above in a painted plaster version of the Pieta that lives on our pine shelf--that God-made-Man who gave His life to save us and rose again three days later.  It's the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ.

G-Man knows.
And as you can see, he's already feeling that Easter joy!

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. I love seeing faithful people who can also celebrate and appreciate the secular traditions. I assume none of your boys were traumatized when they learned that there was no Santa or Easter Bunny? Your bunny tree is great! I am getting lots of ideas for the future! G-Man looks adorable with his little lamb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decorate for holidays the way my mom and mother-in-law did. My mother-in-law was one of the most devout Catholics I've ever known, but she collected Santa and bunny figurines like nobody's business.

      And you assume right: our boys loved Santa and the Easter Bunny; but no, they weren't traumatized. Actually, I think they still believe in those guys. ;D

      Delete