Thursday, April 10, 2014

That's Right, You Heard Correctly: We're the "Wild Ones"

A couple of years ago at my niece's wedding, the bride was asking all of her aunts and uncles to name the songs they'd chosen for their first dances at their own weddings.  Then she had the DJ play them and the old married couples got out there one by one and danced to them again, with a big circle formed around them to watch.

When it came time for us, I blanked.  "I really don't know what we danced to!" I said.  My husband came up as empty-handed as I.

"Maybe it was Just You and Me, by Chicago?" I tried, not at all convinced.  We had gone to the junior prom together in high school, and that had been the prom's theme song; so that was as good a guess as any, I supposed.  But my husband and I truly have no recollection of the actual song we danced to for the first time as a married couple.

No idea what song was playing in the background here.  Not a clue.
Is that pathetic and sad?

Before you answer that, keep in mind that when we got married in 1980, it was normal to have a live band (which we did) rather than a DJ, and their repertoire was limited.  I believe that what probably happened is the bandleader said, "Hey, this is the song we usually play when the couple has their first dance together," and my husband-to-be and I just said, "Whatever, that sounds good."  We really didn't have a song that we considered "our song," and we were just so incredibly excited to be getting married--after 7-and-a-1/2 years of dating, starting at the age of 15.  We would have danced to anything.

Anyway, back to our niece's wedding: a couple of my Pearl sisters-in-law decided to have some fun by bestowing upon us a song that would thenceforth be forever ours, and they informed the DJ of their oh-so-hilarious choice. 

They picked "Wild Ones," by Flo Rida, and we got out there and boogied down with our bad selves, laughing the whole time.

So..."Wild Ones" is now "our wedding dance song."   And at every single Pearl wedding since that niece's (and there have been a number of them), that's what we've danced to.  Our brothers- and sisters-in-law slow dance to sweet, touching love ballads...and we are the Wild Ones.  Oooh  oooh oooh oooh.  So you heard we were the Wild Ones?  That's right.  That's so us.  No ballads for this old couple, no way-no how; we dance to a RAP song (Heaven help us!).

Dancing to "our song" at son #4's wedding in February.



And if you knew how NOT us that really is, it would make this choice of a "wedding song" for my husband and me even more funny than it is already.  You gotta love our family; if there's one thing it has, it's a sense of humor.

Now check out the Wedding Song Dance Along at Camp Patton, where the songs are bound to be much more first dance-appropriate than ours.

12 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much I love this! I am going to be singing "Wild Ones" all day now! What a great stand-in for the song that you can't remember. I just love this so much. Your boys have such a great set of parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was singing it all day, too, after I wrote this. (For a rap song, it's kind of catchy, and you can actually dance to it!).

      Delete
  2. You and your hubby are just TOO adorable. Stahp it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're trying to stay "with it"--slowing down a step, but still having lots of fun on the dance floor. :)

      Delete
  3. That color purple goes gorgeously with your skin tone.

    My husband and I danced to a song called "You Ruined Everything" for our first dance. That was a head turner to be for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha--I'm going to look that one up on-line and listen to it. :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, you two are awesome! And wild!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just too cute!! I love the photos. You go, you wild thing!! :)

    ReplyDelete