Monday, December 10, 2012

"Mom, do you wish YOU were a kid...?"

Well, I'm a real lazybones today.  A real slugabed.  It's almost 10:00 a.m., and I've only been awake long enough to get the coffee started!

I don't know what's going on here!  If I sleep past 8:00 a.m., I kind of feel like the day is half over!

So this is going to be a short blog post today--nothing more than a picture, really.  But I do believe a picture speaks a thousand words.  And the little boy in this picture spoke a lot of words the day I took it.

It was Christmas 1991, and son #4 was 3-going-on-4 at the time, and he'd gotten his dream present that year: a 12"-tall Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.  Our boys had zillions (or just shy of zillions) of the little 5"-tall Ninja Turtle action figures, but this was the first giant version of the toy that anyone in our family had ever gotten.  To say that this little guy was thrilled is putting it mildly.
He asked me that day--maybe not a thousand times, but close to a hundred times, I'll bet--the same question: "Mom, do you wish you were a kid so you could get this turtle?" And every time, I answered with an enthusiastic, "I sure do!"

The happy little boy in this picture is going to turn 25 in about a month, and I don't think there's anything we could get him this Christmas that would make him as excited as that gigantic Ninja Turtle toy did that year.  I think he really felt sorry for me because I wasn't a kid like he was, and no present under the tree with my name on it could possibly compare to that glorious toy of his.

I just hope my boy remembers that long-ago Christmas, and the patience with which I answered his sweet question over, and over, and over--and OVER!--when I'm a forgetful old lady and I ask him the same question a thousand times in a row!  That's the circle of life in a nutshell, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Haha, clever end to the post! And cute story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love remembering that Christmas--because he really did follow me around, holding his precious turtle and asking me that question over and over. It was about the cutest thing ever.

      Delete