Sunday, May 27, 2012

May Crownings

I loved the May Crownings we had at school when I was growing up.

At my Catholic grade school, we always showed our love and devotion to the Blessed Mother during the month of May--Her month--in many different ways: students would bring flowers in daily to place in a vase near the small statue of Mary that was located in each classroom; on sunny days, we would assemble outside, near the large statue of Mary that looked out over the schoolyard, to recite the Rosary together; and always, there would be a big ceremony where a crown of flowers was placed upon the head of that statue, while all the schoolchildren sang "O Mary we crown Thee with blossoms today; Queen of the Angels, Queen of the May..."  Do you remember that sweet song?  And of course, we would sing "Ave, Ave, Ave Maria; Salve, Salve, Regina..."

When I was in 8th grade, the scheduled May Crowning, which was usually held in the schoolyard, had to be moved inside due to rain.  That year, I'd been the lucky one chosen to crown the statue of Our Lady.  I was honored to be given this important duty.  Way back in 2nd grade (at a different school, in a different state), I'd been the one chosen to carry the flower crown on a pillow, as part of a long procession of participants.  Having recently made my First Holy Communion, I proudly wore my white dress and veil as I carried that pillow to the statue of Our Lady; but an older girl got to place the crown on Mary's head.  Now I was that older girl.

It may have been a slow news day in our small town, but our school's May Crowning was actually covered in the newspaper.
I didn't get my picture in the paper very often; aside from my engagement and wedding photos, I believe this was the only time.

I can't think of a more wonderful reason to find myself in the paper than this: as part of a ceremony the sole purpose of which is to show love and reverence for the Blessed Virgin Mary.

2 comments:

  1. You look so pretty putting those flowers on Mary's head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to have a picture of this. It's a good memory for me.

    ReplyDelete