Thursday, May 3, 2012

It's a Twin Thing

Here is a touching piece of vintage artwork by Jesse Willcox Smith, whose wonderful paintings--usually of babies and small children--graced many Good Housekeeping covers in the early 1900's.  I just love her work!

Looking at these two darling girls sitting together reading makes me think of my sweet little twin granddaughters.  They already love books so much; I can see them like this someday down the road--squished together on a chair, leaning over a favorite book.  Of course, Bonny and Kewpie are identical, so I assume their hair--when it comes in!--will be the same color. But otherwise, I feel like I'm looking into a crystal ball: I see hair bows and black patent leather Mary Jane's (those shoes are a must!); I see "Sunday best" dresses and bobbed hair-dos; and best of all, I see two inseparable playmates joined at the hip.  Yes, I see the future.  And I must tell you, it's beautiful.

The twins are 11 months old now, as of yesterday, and within the last week they've both taken their first steps.  Things are going to get interesting around that house now, with two babies on the move.  (Not that they haven't been interesting up to this point!)  It wasn't all that long ago that the babies screamed with terror at bath time; but on a recent trip to a water park with Mommy and Daddy, when they got splashed and sprayed, they screamed with excitement.  How fast they grow up!

I still have to pinch myself sometimes when I realize that my firstborn son--the guy I can still picture as a chubby, tow-headed toddler in diapers--is the father of twin girls.  How lucky my husband and I are: when we became first-time grandparents, we got not one, but two, adorable granddaughters. Two for the price of one. This twin thing is so amazing and miraculous.  The birth of any baby is a miracle, absolute proof of the existence of God; but the birth of twins is a double miracle.  A miracle squared.

Like I said, I see a beautiful future for my precious twin granddaughtes.  I just don't want it to get here too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment