Saturday, July 25, 2026

This is 68

It's my birthday today.  I'm 68.  (Gulp!  How did THAT happen?!) My husband and I are the same age--he turned 68 almost exactly a month ago.  Yes, that means that we both spent this past year being 67; that's right, we were six-seven.  (If you have young children or grandchildren, you know just what I'm talking about.)  For that reason alone, I should be thrilled to be turning a different number, LOL.  But 68, guys!  Yikes!  Next month, we will be going to our 50th high school reunion!  We are officially old, I guess.

I'm posting this picture of my husband and me with our boys, from our photo shoot earlier in the month, because they are MY WORLD.  These guys of mine are truly the best gifts I have ever or will ever receive.  No other birthday gifts are needed here, I can assure you. I can't even imagine what my life would have been like without them.  And now, because of these five sons of ours, my husband and I have five daughters and 23 grandchildren to love and cherish as well.  It just doesn't get any better than that.

So Happy Birthday to me, the luckiest woman/wife/mother/grandmother in the world. Thank you, God, for the gift of my life.  I know that to whom much is given, much is expected--and I have been inordinately blessed; so I have some work to do before all is said and done, that's for sure.  Please, God, help me to fulfill whatever purpose you have in mind, before time runs out on me.  And thank you, thank you, a million times, thank you!  

16 comments:

  1. "The first fact about the celebration of a birthday is that it is a way of affirming defiantly, and even flamboyantly, that it is a good thing to be alive." GK Chesterton

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! I LOVE that quote!! It is good indeed. 😊

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! Wishing you many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated!! I love how you love life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always count on you, Madeline, to leave a comment that makes me smile. Life is so wonderful, and made more so by friendships (even those made online through the blogging world!).

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, Laura! Your good cheer and gratitude and enjoyment always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww ... love you and happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday - you don't even look close to being 68!! Also I love your last lines about preparing to give more because you've been so blessed - a sobering thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, it's official: as far as commenters on this post go, you win the title of favorite. LOL! Thanks for making me feel better about my age! :)

      And I know that at any age, we have to remember how short our life is and that it could end at any time.. But at 68--well, even if I have a "long" time left, that's a very relative term. So I'm trying to memento mori. But I love my life and hope I've got a lot more time to live it, and to welcome maybe even more grandchildren!!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happiest of belated birthdays to you. Life is treating you well and it shows in your joyful smile! Having young grandkids has made 6-7 that much more fun while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were your grandkids into that whole 6–7 thing too? Isn’t it funny how these things catch on and spread throughout the whole country? Thank you for the birthday wishes, my friend. ❤️Looking forward to seeing you soon.

      Delete