Monday, June 10, 2019

A Green Door for Oyster Haven

My husband and I are currently in Upstate NY, cleaning and doing odd jobs at our VRBO lakeside rental, which we named Oyster Haven after we bought it in the fall of 2015.  (We opened it for business in the summer of 2016.)

A while back, I blogged about the name of the house and where it came from, and how eerily apropos it was--considering how Irish our family is, especially on my husband's side.  (Here's the link to that old post that explains everything, in case you're interested.)

If you don't want to bother reading the post, I'll just tell you that we named our house before we knew that there was actually a place in County Cork called Oyster Haven Bay--and when I realized we had inadvertently given it an Irish name I was beyond tickled, let me tell you.
This 5x7" photo (taken at the Oyster Haven in Ireland) hangs in the kitchen of our lake house,
a nod to its Irish cousin across the ocean.

Anyhoo, our Oyster Haven is a lovely old farm house, the main part of which dates back to about 1830.  (An addition was added in the 1940's, and about 10 years ago the kitchen and bathrooms got some major upgrades.)  Right now, the poor old girl is peeling on the outside and badly in need of a paint job, but we recently had a new roof put on.  (Having a leak that causes the ceiling in one of the upstairs bedrooms to almost fall down will make a new roof happen lickety-split, dontcha know.)  We are hoping to have a fresh coat of white paint applied by this fall; but in the meantime, I thought the least we could do would be to give the front door a facelift.

From the road, it doesn't look too bad.  But the paint on the door (which has been that same blue hue since we bought the house) had faded quite a bit, and when my husband put a new combination lock on it recently and touched it up, the paint he found in a rusted can in the basement no longer matched what was on the door.

I decided that maybe as long as we had to repaint it anyway, we should go with something a little more bold and daring (and a little more Irish).

I was inspired by a scene from the John Wayne movie The Quiet Man.  His character, Sean Thornton, goes back to Ireland to reclaim his family's ancestral home, White 'o Morn, and he decides to paint the front door green.  I love the line from Mrs. Playfair, who pays a visit and says to Sean, "Only an American would have thought of emerald green."

Hey, Sean Thornton had a new roof put on, too, just like us!  (Only ours is not thatched...)

Yes, I decided, our front door just had to be green.  Emerald green, or Kelly green, or whatever you want to call it.  There wasn't another color that would do!  I painted it today--and oh, do I love the way it looks!

The blue was fine, it was...

...but the green--in my opinion--is so much better!

What do you think?!

That's it for me, today, folks.  But this green door, and all this talk about The Quiet Man, has got me in the mood for some Irish music.  So I'll leave you with this offering from a band called Flogging Molly.


And how about this one, from the Face Vocal Band, while we're at it.

Until next time...

6 comments:

  1. I like both the blue and green, but I am happy you're happy! I've seen Flogging Molly live before and they're great. And I love The Quiet Man. (Sit down, sit down, that's what chairs are for!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha--so many good lines in that movie! ("No patty-fingers in the holy water, if you please.")

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I love it, too. I don't know what it is about that color--it just makes me happy!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love it! You really need to help me do some painting this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That green is so much better than the blue! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete