Monday, December 31, 2018

X and Y Page: It's Been a Process!

Warning: ABC Book update coming at you.  (That's right, the ABC Book that was going to be a Christmas gift for the grandchildren this year...but is still several pages shy of completion.  Yep, that ABC Book.)

I have been working on the X and Y page for this book (a love gift for my grandchildren) for a while now.  That's right, I said "page," not "pages."  It's just one page for the two letters, and you'd think that would mean getting it done would be a piece of cake.  Here I thought that devoting just one page to two letters (instead of two whole pages of illustrations for each letter, as I did throughout the book until I got to X, Y, and Z and decided it was time to wrap things up already!) was going to make things move along pretty quickly.

Wrong!

I printed up my cardstock page and began working on the drawing of the yak...and to my horror, part-way in I realized that I had forgotten to highlight the featured words in the colors that coordinate with those of their letters.  Horrors!
The word "yak" needed to be blue, and the word "x-box" needed to be red.  So it was back to the old drawing board for me.  Literally.

I used the fact that I was going to have to start over as an opportunity to incorporate a Y adjective into the page, and I decided that the yak was now going to be yellow.  (Yes, yellow!)  I also realized that I had misspelled the word "x-box."  Since this is a real product, I knew I had to spell it properly and changed it to "Xbox."  (That would lead to a whole new headache, but I'll get to that in a minute.)

So I was practically finished with the page, and it looked like this.

And then my heart kind of dropped.  Because I realized that I can't use an image of a trademarked video game system if I plan to try to sell this ABC Book.  Not that I think I should do that, or that anyone would really buy it if I did.  But I have had several kind readers, both here and over on Instagram, comment that when I finish, they would like to buy a copy.  Whether or not that would ever really come to pass, I don't know.  But if it does, I can't have an Xbox on this page and risk a legal problem over using a well-known trademarked product in my humble little book.  (I don't know what I was thinking!)

I simply could not get myself motivated to start fresh on yet another image of the hairy horned beast!  So instead, I decided to cut away the yak portion of the now-defunct page and glue it to a new one.  And this time instead of an Xbox, I decided to use that familiar ABC book stand-by for the letter X, the x-ray.

Here's the final version.

So what do you think?  Does the yellow yak (with the X-rayed horn) work?  Yea or Nay?

Even if your vote is Nay, I don't think I can possibly bring myself to do another version of this page.  Because Yikes, I'm eXhausted!

(But just four more pages to go!  Two K's, one O, one V.  I can do this!!!  Look out, 2019; I have big plans for you!)

Happy New Year's Eve!  I will be sure to toast all of you fine readers when my husband and I have our typical wild New Year's Eve celebration...in jammies, at home, by the fire, with a movie on the TV...

13 comments:

  1. I think it works! And when you finish I will 100% be purchasing a copy. My Christopher just asked me if it was time for the ABC book with a walrus to come! (Really!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That actually makes me even more anxious to get it done. I don't think anyone will appreciate the walrus drawing as much as he will. ;)

      Delete
  2. Well as you asked, I'm a nay. Sorry.
    Maybe your best having a break and then coming back.
    Doing really well, the end is in sight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your honesty! I realize it's sort of a strange illustration.

      I may rework that page, but first I think I need to move on and finish the four I haven't started. Then we shall see. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the x-ray idea- so creative! And I will for sure purchase copies if you offer them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I hope I can figure out a way to publish this and make the copies affordable. That's the next step--looking into all of that.

      Delete
  4. I think the x-ray works!And I definitely want to buy a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always count on you! Hopefully Miss O will approve. ;)

      Delete
  5. I think it works, Laura! And as I've mentioned before I would buy a copy, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aileen. You are one of the people I've "met" here that make me want to keep at it. I appreciate your support and friendship so much! Too bad we live so far apart, it would be nice to meet. (You know, we started out our married life in TX--first Corpus Christi and then Beeville. We even had matching cowboy hats back in the day! We wore them at our wedding reception!)

      Delete
    2. I've always thought it would be nice if we could meet, too. We did correspond through email a time or two right before you moved to Virginia. I remember you telling me that y'all started out in Texas! So cool that you wore the cowboy hats at your reception. :)

      Delete
  6. I like this place. I was here the other night, I've been there for about four or five hours and found the prices reasonable on all fronts and the staff to be so friendly. I would be the perfect person to have on an infomercial for these event halls for rent if they ever had one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone Critique is a known spammer that is paid to post fake blog comments with links to the company that pays them. The link in the comment above goes to a website that has a team of spammers that post over 100 fake comments per day to blogspot sites with links to their site. These links trick search engines like google into thinking they are more popular so they will be seen more in google search results. They blend the fake comment in so it will look real and not be deleted, but you will notice that neither the comment nor the link they inserted are helpful to your readers, only to their business.

    Your blog may be identified as spam if you allow it to be used for comment spam. Please delete the spam comment above or mark it as spam using the instructions here: https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/187141?hl=en

    ReplyDelete