Thursday, March 17, 2016

Wearin' 'o the Green

I got bored the other day and started playing with the camera on my Kindle Fire.  The model I have isn't the newest version, and the camera on it only works in selfie mode. Which, as you can imagine, makes it rather inconvenient for everyday use. BUT (and this is a big but)...I just discovered that once you take the photos, you can add all these different effects to them; so I messed around with a smirky self-portrait, changing the filters until I ended up with a version that gave me green hair and green eyes.  And faith 'n begorrah, I thought what better day to post such a picture on the blog than today, the very feast day of the Patron Saint of the Emerald Isle himself?  So I added the text, and voila!  This green-eyed monster of a photo became a St. Patrick's Day greeting from String o' Pearls to yourself!
(Since I'm still in Germany, this should probably read "Glucklichen St Patrick Tag!"  Or "Glucklichen St der Tag von Patrick!"  Or something like that.)

Actually, I think perhaps I ought to share some better St. Patty's Day greetings with you--vintage ones, because they appeal to me so much.  (And hey, no jokes about the somewhat vintage nature of the Grammy up there with the green hair and eyes, you hear?)
Now before I go, a little book talk:

If you like to read about the Irish, you might enjoy the novel I am currently reading, A Distant Prospect by Annette Young.  Although I am only a little over half-way through it, I ADORE this book, which features a young Irish heroine and her utterly endearing Irish "daid," who have moved to Australia after a family tragedy to forge a new life for themselves.  It is so good that I believe every reader will love it and every writer will wish they'd written it!

And of course, how can I leave without a wee plug for my own novel about the Irish?  Erin's Ring tells the story about how those plucky immigrants came to this country in waves during the 19th century and changed it forever--for the better, of course!

Okay, then.  Tonight, I'll raise my glass of green beer (or more likely, Coca-Cola Light, Germany's version of Diet Coke) to all of you, dear readers, and say, "Slainte!"  I will indeed!

8 comments:

  1. Such a cute picture! Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do without the green hair! But I sort of wish I had green eyes.

      Happy St. Patty's to you, too!!

      Delete
  2. Happy St. Patty's Day! Sláinte, mo chara!

    The Starving Inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Iris--I just looked up "mo chara"--my friend. Thanks, and cheers to you as well, my friend!

      I wish I knew how to get the accent marks over letters, so my Irish (and German) words would be more accurate. One of these days, I'll be computer literate!

      Delete
  3. Hope you have the chance to toast the day, maybe with a good German beer??? Sláinte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, I have a confession to make...I'm not a big fan of beer! (I'm going to have to fake it when I visit the Barracks!) I know it seems so wrong, to be in Germany and not drink beer! Have one for me! :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sorry this response comes so late. Thanks, Madeline! I hope yours was happy as well.

      Delete