Tuesday, April 8, 2014

What A Creative Way to Make an Announcement!

My middle son got married this past December, and recently he and his wife shared some wonderful news with the Facebook world (we had known for a month or so and had been sworn to secrecy until the first trimester was behind them).  Let me show you how they revealed their glorious surprise to my husband and me. 

First they showed us this photo:
We looked at it. "Ice, ice," I said hesitantly.  "Ice, ice--oh, hey, are you guys having a BABY?!"  My husband sat beside me, looking at the picture with a confused expression on his face, and he said, "How did you get THAT from this picture?"  Obviously, some of us old-timers are more aware of what's going on in the current world of popular music than others.  Some of us are more hip, if you will.

Then these two adorable newlyweds quickly had us peruse this second photo:
Bingo!  Grammy (who is SO up-to-date with the hip-hop music all the young whippersnappers are listening to) had guessed it, but now the light bulb went on for Papa.  We were going to be grandparents--AGAIN.  And this baby will make four! 

The newest little Pearl on our family string is due to make his or her appearance in October.  To say we are over the moon--both for ourselves and for this happy young couple who went into their marriage completely open to God's plan for their newly created family--is an understatement.

I can't help but picture a darling little cutie pie with dark, naturally curly hair, like his or her mommy's--and her gorgeous olive skin, too (instead of the pale, easily sunburned Irish skin with which our boys have been cursed).
And maybe piercing blue eyes like his or her daddy's.
(I only say that because this baby's mommy, who has the prettiest brown eyes you ever did see, thinks this would be an attractive combination.)

My son and his Preciosa will find out at 18 weeks or so if their baby is a male or a female, and then I can just say "his" or "her" when I talk about grandchild #4--and I can show images of wee ones wrapped in pink or blue, too, instead of safe, neutral yellow!

Isn't it something the way young people make announcements these days?  If I recall, our parents (who were in Upstate NY) were informed about our pregnancies over the phone (from Texas, Florida, and NH).  Not nearly as creative or fun a way to break the news, huh?

Here's how the baby announcement became "Facebook Official" (that's a real thing, you know).  I told my son and his wife that if they'd had the helpful caption there when they broke the news to Papa and Grammy, it wouldn't have taken as long for the old guy to "get" it!

We are praying for the health and well-being of this newest little Pearl, and I would appreciate it so much, dear readers, if you could also keep this ecstatic young couple and their precious little one in your prayers.  Gracias!

17 comments:

  1. Sorry if you stopped by while I was having technical difficulties! I went to edit this post, then messed it up completely, then had to revert it to draft form to fix it up before I could post it again. If you saw the messed-up version, I hope you weren't too confused. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Many congratulations! I so wish my brother, sister-in-law, and little nephew lived closer to us... Here's hoping Anna and Andrew (who got married in November) will give me a little niece or nephew to play with while we await newer orders from the West Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice Ice Baby!!!! Can't wait for Grantcie to make his/her debut!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way they made the announcement! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to Son #3, his lovely lady, Grammy and everyone else!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to them and to you!!! How exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news! Congratulations to your son and daughter-in-law. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great news - congratulations to all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, everyone, for all of your good wishes. It's so much fun to share this news with all of my blogging friends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic and wonderful and oh so awesome! (And such a cute announcement!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to everyone all around!! Ice Ice Baby - I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exciting news!!! though I have to confess I don't get the ice thing either, though the hands would have told me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay so when you posted this I was ALL excited and going to comment but I thought I would spill the beans if I did. But now that our news is blog official I can safely say Yay! Your grand baby #4 and my #2 are going to be the exact same age and I love that! I think it's so fun to "know" other babies around the same age as your own. They could go to the same college one day for all we know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! I just checked out your blog announcement, and it, too, is a winner! How adorable.

      Here I just commented on your blog the other day that I'm old enough to be your mother; now I can say I'm also old enough to be your baby's grandmother! That's so neat that you're due the same time as our middle son's wife!!

      Congratulations!

      Delete