Saturday, April 12, 2014

God-Given Talents

I wasn't even sure I should blog today.  I published a post yesterday, then a few hours later removed it from my site because I realized that I'd gone a little overboard with the self-deprecating comments (something I have a tendency to do, and I know it's an unattractive trait that seems like a desperate attempt to fish for compliments).  If you read that post, try to erase it from your memory banks.  If you didn't, it was about art--a subject near and dear to my heart--and how sub-par my own attempts at creating it are when you put them next to Michelangelo's.  (Well, duh!  Almost everybody's attempts would fall into that category!)

What I need to remember is that God gave me a deep desire to draw and paint--and even though He didn't give me the same degree of talent that He gave the Masters, He gave me some.  He gave me what He thought I'd need.  He gave me enough to do with it the things that I was meant to do--and I'm hoping that one of them is to finish that ABC Book I'm working on for my grandchildren.  He gave me enough so that I would enjoy the creative process, that I would experience such an indescribable joy while wielding a paintbrush or a pastel crayon or a colored pencil, it would make my heart soar--the way I assume one's heart soars when he can play the piano or sing like an angel (two talents that I can't even conceive of having).  God gave me just enough artistic talent so that I would be capable of producing gifts of handmade love for my wonderful, non-critical family members and friends, and donating my time to paint murals on the walls of my sons' Catholic elementary school...and making that ABC Book, of course.

There is a fine line between humility and disrespect when it comes to acknowledging God-given gifts, and I hope I don't cross it too often.  Therefore, I want to take this opportunity to say that I thank God every day for giving me something that has brought such happiness and purpose to my life.  I truly do.

Now you're probably saying, "Look at her, getting all full of herself.  She's really not that good!"  [Insert smiley face emoticon here.]

I have used my artistic talent, such as it is, to paint all kinds of crazy trompe l'oeil thingys on the walls of my house (animals, mostly).  While I'm aware that this habit of mine might lessen the resale value (but hey, you can always paint over them!), I think this unusual wall art gives our home an endearing touch of whimsy.

Just recently, I was bemoaning the fact that we probably can't afford to update our dated and worn-out kitchen cabinets--the ones original to the house, which we bought in 1990--anytime soon.  So I decided, you know what, I can do whatever I want to these cabinets!  Who's going to stop me?  If we have to sell our house, the new owners are bound to gut the kitchen anyway!  I've decided that I'm going to think of all those cream-colored door and drawer fronts as blank canvases.

And so it begins.
Now if houseguests are wondering where the silverware drawer is, they'll have this handy clue.

When my husband and second oldest son first saw this little painting of a spoon, they thought it was some sort of stick-on decal I'd bought.  I considered that the greatest compliment ever!  To me, it was like having a successful art show at a gallery.

So I'll end here by urging you to use those talents God gave you, whatever they are and in whatever degree He gave them, to make your own life happier and to spread joy to others.  Have fun with them.  Don't compare them to the talents of others (something yours truly would never, ever do!).  And I'm not sure if the spoon I just showed you really accomplishes this...but use them for His greater glory, too, whenever and wherever you can.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I am SERIOUSLY impressed by that spoon!!! I also love this post. I'm smiling ear to ear at your creativity. I hope you'll post pictures of your other projects (pretty please??).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice comment! Now I'm smiling ear to ear.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love that you did this to your drawer. Can't wait to see what's next!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D said I should paint a plate on door where the dishes are, a cup on the door where we keep all the glasses, etc That might start to look a bit crazy...but I just might do it. :)

      Delete
  3. Yes there is a line between humility and acceptance of our Gifts He has given us. I've been thinking alot lately about putting yourself down comments and what am I modeling to my children. Actually I've been thinking more in the line of body image- mine and what am I saying in particular to my girls when I voice aloud my insecurities and what am I saying to my Maker, the one who created me as I am. We do have to watch it, the negativity in regards to ourselves. Actually Grace in your book put herself down alot, wanted to tell her to not do it.

    re the cupboards, why don't you paint the whole lot first and then do your beautiful paintings. seen some great re-paintings on pinterest of kitchen makeovers.

    and I do know the feeling when your husband and son made re your paintings:) I had the same feeling this week when my husband told me he thought the photos in my library post were taken from the library website:) I may be closer to 'arriving'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first paragraph--I know just what you mean! There were times I said to my husband, "I hope I wouldn't have said these things aloud if we'd had daughters." And I'm sure I would have. :( We're all much too hard on ourselves. (And I know, Grace is definitely too hard on herself. They say to write what you know, though...:))

      That painted cupboard idea sounds intriguing. I haven't gone on Pinterest yet. Perhaps it's time.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Laura! I was just having a conversation akin to this the other day with a friend. And I'm looking forward to many, many pictures of all your nifty little projects!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I felt half-ready to quite blogging the other day, after taking down that sort of annoying post. I'm glad I didn't.

      Delete
  5. Hey, that's really cool! Love the little spoon, and it's such a fun touch in the kitchen.

    I completely get what you mean about that fine line between humility, false humility, self-deprecating and disrespect for the gifts God gave you. I am like that with music. I am not a solo-quality musician or vocalist, but I enjoy being part of an ensemble at my church that leads prayer at Mass through music and uses our gifts (whatever their extent) to give God honor and glory.

    And I wish more people would stop worrying about reselling their house and just live in it. You have added those touches to bless your own family with your talents. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your paragraph about music--it's true, isn't it, that we're all given different gifts and we have to use them the way WE were meant to, not someone else. I find that easy to say, but hard to do all the time. Sometimes, I even compare my "artsy" gifts to what I perceive as the way more important gifts that others have. I was recently at the hospital with my dad, and I was so in awe of the nurses, who go about their stressful jobs with such calmness and efficiency. They do so much to help others, I thought, and what do I do? But I could never administer a shot or look closely at a ghastly wound--so obviously, God did not mean for me to be a nurse! But we're all different, and that's exactly as it should be.

      And I agree--it's so much more fun to fix up your house for your own family instead of worrying about resale. Our house feels like home to us, and right now, that's all that matters. :)

      Delete
  6. I love that little spoon!!! It did look like a decal to me, too! Are you going to do more and will you please take photos for us? I love experiencing the talents of others. It really blesses me.

    ReplyDelete