Monday, October 21, 2013

Back in the USA!

We've been out of town and out of Internet service for a couple of days, in case you're wondering why I'm such a slacker when it comes to keeping up with this blog.

But today, I've got WiFi--and I'm glad, because I've got happy news to report.

Six months ago, my #4 son (an Army Reservist and also a civilian contractor who works in the field of military intelligence) left for Afghanistan, and at the time it seemed that he would be gone forever.  I wrote a post about him shortly after he'd left, which you can read here if you're new to this site (or if you'd like to give that post a look-see again--and it's worth it, if only to get a glimpse of his utterly adorable first grade picture).

Yesterday, our boy was finally on US soil once again, thank the Lord.  And last night, we were able to meet up with him at a base in Indiana.  It just so happens that we were out at Notre Dame with our youngest son for the ND-USC game on Saturday (and in spite of losing quarterback Tommy Rees to injury in the second half, ND hung on to win it 14-10--woo hoo!), and we only had to drive about four hours on Sunday to welcome son #4 back to the land of the free and the home of the brave. 

Here's a picture of our brave returning hero with his dad and baby brother.
He didn't cut his hair for the whole deployment...so do you think he was over there in his role as an Army lieutenant or as a contractor?

He's already been accused of looking like Ashton Kucher with this new do, and this is most decidedly NOT a compliment in his book--so it's a sure bet he'll be cutting those luxurious locks off toot sweet--if you'll excuse my French.  (Or at least by the time he has to drill with the Army in a couple of weeks!)

Today, my boy--a hero of whom we are very, very proud--flies down to VA, where his "fam" as he calls them (his devoted girlfriend and equally devoted dog) eagerly await his arrival.  They had a tough separation back in April.
It should be quite a reunion.

For all of you who've been praying for him, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Now my husband, son #5, and I are off to CO to visit with son #1, who turns the big 3-0 tomorrow--yikes, I'm the mother of a thirty-year-old!  Our youngest boy is planning to spend his college break this week playing with his nieces and becoming their favorite uncle (because, yes, everything in our family is a competition!).

Have a great week, and hopefully I'll be checking in more often.

9 comments:

  1. And 30 becomes 40 overnight, it seems. If you think that children grow into adolescents to quickly, the speed at which they pass adult markers is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it! The years are going by much too quickly these days.

      Delete
  2. Just yesterday I made an innocent comment that it was about time my sister learned whatever it was we were talking about in her 28 years of life. My dad looked at me and said, "She's not 28." I returned his look an said, "Yes, she is." After a moment's pause and some mental calculation he said, "Oh...Yeah, you're right." Times a'flyin and - next thing you know (2 1/2 weeks!!) she'll be off and married!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah....he's home! So happy to see this. And have a wonderful time in Colorado. Plus I am very happy to see you back here .... I have missed you!
    Love,
    Your loyal fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your son is back safe and sound!!

    I answered your scrumptious blog questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmmm, oh my goodness he's so handsome in that picture with his girlfriend. And I'm glad he's back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colleen. We're so glad to have him back, too.

      Delete
  6. I am glad your son is safe at home! :)

    ReplyDelete